Becoming a Naturalist on Long Island
- Yellowstone Hearing Explores Protections. // National Parks;Jan/Feb86, Vol. 60 Issue 1/2, p42
Reports on the United States Senate hearing focusing on the ecosystem problems facing the Yellowstone National Park in the United States. Ecological characteristics of the area; Ways of protecting the ecosystem explored during the hearing.
- Southwestern Desert Hottie. Swanson, David // National Geographic Traveler;May/Jun2009, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p53
The article presents information on Death Valley National Park, which is a tourist attraction in California. Here one can find the lowest point in North America where bleak Badwater sits 282 feet below sea level. Just 15 miles west to the place is the 11,049-foot summit of Telescope Peak, which...
- Yellowstone's missing wolves McNamee, Thomas // Defenders;Nov/Dec1992, Vol. 67 Issue 6, p24
No abstract available.
- Fish Out of Water. MARQUIS, AMY LEINBACH // National Parks;Spring2013, Vol. 87 Issue 2, p14
No abstract available.
- A Top Predator Roars Back. Kostel, Ken // Onearth;Summer2004, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p6
Focuses on the reintroduction of gray wolves to Yellowstone National Park in the United States. Documentation of the trophic cascade in aquatic ecosystems; Discussion of the connection between elk grazing and the disappearance of willow and cottonwood trees; Focus on the debate over whether the...
- Ecosystem metabolism in a temporary Mediterranean marsh (DoÃ±ana National Park, SW Spain). Geertz-Hansen, O.; Montes, C.; Duarte, C. M.; Sand-Jensen, K.; Marbá, N.; Grillas, P. // Biogeosciences Discussions;2010, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p6495
The metabolic balance of the open waters supporting submerged macrophytes of the DoÃ±ana marsh (SW Spain) was investigated in spring, when community production is highest. The marsh community was net autotrophic with net community production rates averaging 0.61 g C m-2 d-1, and gross...
- At the Crossroads. // Travel & Leisure;Mar2004, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p117
Features the tourist spots in the town of Al ChaltÃ©n in Argentina. Ecosystem in the town; Description of the national park; List of restaurants in the town. INSET: THE FACTS..
- Reptiles from LenÃ§Ã³is Maranhenses National Park, MaranhÃ£o, northeastern Brazil. Miranda, Jivanildo Pinheiro; Lopes Costa, João Carlos; Rocha, Carlos Frederico D. // ZooKeys;11/29/2012, Vol. 246, p51
We are presenting a list of the reptile species from LenÃ§Ã³is Maranhenses National Park (LMNP), MaranhÃ£o, Brazil, obtained during 235 days of field work. The study area is located in the contact zone between three major Neotropical ecosystems: Amazonia, Caatinga, and Cerrado. The PNLM...
- Exploring the effects of invasive algae on the persistence of gorgonian populations. Cebrian, Emma; Linares, Cristina; Marschal, Christian; Garrabou, Joaquim // Biological Invasions;Dec2012, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p2647
The effects of invasive species on native fauna are understudied in marine ecosystems, even though the impact of introduced species must be taken into consideration for proper conservation and management. The main aim of this study was to investigate the effects of invasive algae on one of the...