Spinning Toward Consolidation
- A different type of consolidation. Levine, Shira // America's Network;1/15/2004, Vol. 108 Issue 1, p24
Focuses on the impact of the vote of the U.S. Federal Communication Commission to repeal the wireless spectrum cap on the telecommunication industry. Battle against the implementation of local number portability; Consolidation in the telecom industry; Mobile substitution for wireline services.
- Competitive Edge. Gohring, Nancy // Interactive Week;5/7/2001, Vol. 8 Issue 18, p60
Discusses the result of the consolidation in the wireless communication market in the United States (U.S.). Outcome of the failure of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission entrepreneurs' auction; Significance of the consolidation trend.
- Nearly a decade later, PCS auctions invoke wrath, praise. Meyer, Dan // RCR Wireless News;3/22/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 12, p3
Reports on an auction of a spectrum in the 1.9 gigahertz band by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission. Importance of the auction to the wireless industry according to some observers; Company acquired by Cingular Wireless LLC.
- LETTET FROM THE EDITIOR. Engebretson, Joan // Telephony;Sep2008 Independent Supplement, p5
The author comments on the issues raised by the Rural Cellular Association (RCA) to the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The issues include RCA's protest on exclusive handset deals, on automatic roaming and on the range covered by a wireless carrier in a certain market. She focuses...
- Powell s wireless legacy. O'Shea, Dan // Wireless Review;Feb2005, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p8
Provides information on the legacy that Michael Powell, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, will leave behind upon his resignation on March 2005. Years served by Powell as chairman; Acquisition led by Powell, which is considered as the largest merger in the history of the...
- Done deals. Silva, Jeffrey; Winter, Allie // RCR Wireless News;11/10/2008, Vol. 27 Issue 36, p1
The article reports that the U.S. Federal Communications Commission has approved of Verizon's acquisition of Alltel Communications LLC and the merger of Sprint Nextel Corp. and Clearwire Corp.'s WiMAX operations. It is stated that this could lead to private auction of more than 100 wireless...
- Wireless under the Dems to bring change. Silva, Jeffrey // RCR Wireless News;11/10/2008, Vol. 27 Issue 36, p1
The article discusses how the wireless industry in the U.S. is coming under the control of Democrats after the approval of two major telecommunication deals by federal regulators. Senior Democrat Michael Copps and fellow Democratic commissioner Jonathan Adelstein have criticized the U.S. Federal...
- BLOG WATCH. Boulton, Clint; Lundquist, Eric; Hickins, Michael; Preimesberger, Chris; Sturdevant, Cameron; Perelman, Deb // eWeek;4/14/2008, Vol. 25 Issue 12, p50
The article presents blogs related to information technology in the U.S. A blogger reported Google Inc.'s officials confirmed what many suspected which is the company's bidding in the U.S. Federal Communications Commission's 700 mega hertz wireless auction which was a ploy to drive up the...
- FCC to probe wireless roaming. Weaver, Heather Forsgren // RCR Wireless News;9/5/2005, Vol. 24 Issue 36, p22
Reports on the plan of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to review the state of wireless roaming and urged both large and small wireless carriers to prove their claims about discrimination. Reasons for delaying a discussion of roaming issues in the context of rural carrier...