Ethnocentrism in Africa
- Identity Politics: Democratic Institutions in Ethnically Divided States. Reilly, Benjamin // World Politics Review (19446284);10/8/2013, p5
The article looks at some approaches to establishing democratic institutions in nations with diverse ethnic communities. These approaches include consociationalism, communalism and centripetalism. According to the author, centripetalism is more effective than the other two approaches in...
- Mission and democracy in Africa: The problem of ethnocentrism. Aboagye-Mensah, Robert K. // International Bulletin of Missionary Research;Jul93, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p130
Discusses the problem of ethnocentrism in church mission and democracy in Africa. Role of the African church in addressing the problem of ethnocentrism; Definition of ethnocentrism; Failure of the single-party system; Ethnocentrism and contributions of the church; Factors for the success of the...
- Culture, identity and interdiscursivity. Schipper, Mineke // Research in African Literatures;Winter93, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p39
Focuses on the tendency to judge others as being inferior to those in one's group or culture. Argument that the definition of what is human extends no further than one's own group, country, race or sex and to the borders of one's own language, continent or culture; Scholars' awareness of the...
- Beyond 'Democratic Consolidation': An Alternative Understanding of Democratic Progress. Friedman, Steven // Theoria: A Journal of Social & Political Theory;3/15/2011, Vol. 58 Issue 126, p27
For almost two decades, the survival prospects and authenticity of new democracies has been assessed through the democratic consolidation paradigm which seeks to assess whether democracies are 'consolidated'. But an examination of the paradigm shows that it is vague, teleological and...
- Purity, danger, and democracy. Austin-Smith, Brenda // Canadian Dimension;Feb/Mar96, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p48
Opinion. Considers problems with the views of democracy and national purity put forth by Quebec's separatists. Jacques Parizeau's remarks on `money and ethnic votes'; Problems that Quebec ethnocentrism causes for the separatists' desire for democratic government.
- CAN DEMOCRACY SOLVE ALL PROBLEMS? Latouche, Serge // International Journal of Inclusive Democracy;Jan2009, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p155
This paper assesses the ID project as an original, provocative-in the positive sense of the word- and very ambitious endeavour, which constitutes a considerable contribution to the debate about democracy as a solution to the deep multidimensional crisis of globalised mankind. However, although...
- Cosmetic Procedures. // Kurdish Life;Fall2003, Issue 48, p9
The article discusses on the changes within the Kurdish Worker's Party (PKK). One of the initial changes that has occurred within the party was a new name which was KADEK. Months after its change of name, KADEK announced its dissolution. The Associated Press speculated that KADEK's dissolution...
- Bibliography. // Face to Face: the Changing State of Racism Across America;2001, p253
The sources cited within this issue are presented including "Reservation Blues," by Sherman Alexie, "The Social Psychology of Intergroup Relations," edited by S. Worchel, and W. Austin, and "Impacts of Racism on White Americans," edited by Benjamin Bowser, and Raymond G. Hunt.
- Index. // Face to Face: the Changing State of Racism Across America;2001, p259
A subject index for the 1998 issue of "Face to Face: The Changing State of Racism Across America" is presented.