Satellite Companies Back In Business, Without The Debt
- Back From the Brink. // MotorBoating;Aug2001, Vol. 188 Issue 2, p30
Focuses on the re-emergence of the Iridium company. Details on the bankruptcy of the company; Factors contributing to the bankruptcy of the company; How Gino Picasso, chief executive officer of the company, dealt with the problem.
- Handheld Comeback. Mecham, Michael // Aviation Week & Space Technology;9/6/2004, Vol. 161 Issue 9, p58
With adjustments to its original concept and an assist by events, Iridium LLC has rebounded from bankruptcy and is now experiencing double digit growth. Launched in November 1998 as the industry's first global satellite system for mobile phones, the original Iridium LLC business plan envisioned...
- Iridium Satellite Communications Are the Wave of the Future. Wisely, Hugh D. // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Feb2004, Vol. 130 Issue 2, p76
Not long ago, before Enron's fall from grace, a satellite communications venture called Iridium LLC was one of the most highly publicized bankruptcies in the United States. A group of private investors led by Dan Colussy, the former head of Pan American Airlines, saw the opportunity and bought...
- Responding To The Critics. // Wireless Week;03/26/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 13, p70
Interviews Dan Colussy, chairman and interim chief executive officer of Iridium. How he went from the airline industry to the satellite and mobile phone industry; His plans in the telecommunication arena; Status of Iridium gateways.
- Back in the black. Chan, Tony // Wireless Asia;Oct2001, Vol. 4 Issue 9, p12
Reports on Iridium's plan to offer a global mobile personal communications system. Boeing's acquisition of Iridium; Switch-in-the-sky platform of Iridium.
- Back From Beyond. // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Nov2001, p8
Reports on the resumption of the operations of the Iridium satellite communications system, as of November 2001.
- Iridium flying high. Smith, Hilary // RCR Wireless News;4/2/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 14, p4
Reports that Iridium's gateway in Tempe, Arizona, became fully operational in March 2001 with voice service available via its satellite network to remote customers all over the world.
- No High-flying Plans For New Iridium Venture. McCall, Margo // Wireless Week;12/18/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 50, p3
Introduces business venture Iridium Satellite LLC in the United States. Overview of the business plan of the company; Goal of the private venture; Services provided by Iridium Satellite.
- LIVE VIA SATELLITE. Luna, Lynnette // Telephony;9/17/2001, Vol. 241 Issue 12, p28
Discusses the changes needed for the success of the mobile satellite services (MSS) industry in the United States (U.S.). Financial problems experienced by several MSS providers, including Iridium and ICO Communications; Revision of the business plans of Iridium, ICO and Globalstar...