Internet-based Self-Assessment after the Tsunami: lessons learned
- New Guinea's tsunami survivors shake off shock and sand. // Christian Science Monitor;7/20/98, Vol. 90 Issue 164, p11
Reports on the rescue efforts by rescue officials in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea after the region was hit with a severe Tsunami on July 17, 1998. Death toll; Details about survivors; Definition of a tidal wave.
- WAVE OF DESTRUCTION. Hamalainen, Karina // Science World;2/1/2010, Vol. 66 Issue 9, p12
The article explains why people in American Samoa were not warned of the incoming tsunami in September 2009.
- When nightmare waves appear out of nowhere to smash the land. McCredie, Scott // Smithsonian;Mar94, Vol. 24 Issue 12, p28
Informs on tsunamis, the largest, rarest and most powerful waves on Earth. Causes; The life cycle of a tsunami; Disasters caused by tsunamis; Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) in Hawaii; Why tsunamis defy the most sophisticated warning systems; Where most tsunamis occur.
- A Survivor's Story. Harris, Martin // Yachting;Mar2005, Vol. 197 Issue 3, p124
Presents an article on surviving the tsunamis that hit Thailand on December 26, 2005.
- Swept away. Dvorak, John; Peek, Tom // Earth (1056148X);Jul93, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p52
Discusses the formation, causes, and effects of tsunamis. Nicaraguan tsunami of September 1, 1992; Tsunami in Hilo, Hawaii in 1946; Alaskan earthquake of 1964; Tsunami warning systems; Undersea earthquakes and volcanic eruptions; Landslides; Asteroid plummeting into the ocean.
- Why do `tidal waves' occur? // National Geographic World;Oct95, Issue 242, p35
Presents information on tidal waves. Cause; Tsunami as scientific name; Explanation on how a tsunami is formed.
- Smaller quakes trigger killer waves. // Current Science;1/18/91, Vol. 76 Issue 10, p6
Reports on research by two American scientists (Douglas Wiens and Aristeo Pelayo) that suggests that smaller earthquakes which produce large tsunamis last longer (two minutes or more) than an average quake. Calculating seismic moments. INSET: How a tsunami forms..
- Aftershocks in Indonesia. Nelson, Cassandra // Junior Scholastic;4/25/2005, Vol. 107 Issue 17, p6
Focuses on the aftershock of the tsunami earthquake in Indonesia.
- Tsunamis a Threat to Pacific Northwest. // USA Today Magazine;Dec2001, Vol. 130 Issue 2679, p14
Considers the threat of tsunamis in the Pacific Northwest.