Out of the Ashes
- High sulfur magma, a product of fluid discharge from underlying mafic magma: evidence from Mount... Hattori, Keiki // Geology;Dec93, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p1083
Reports on sulfides from the eruption products of the Plinian eruption of Mount Pinatubo on June 15, 1991 and the role of supercritical fluids from mafic magma in the enrichment of sulfide and oxidation of the dacitic magma. Description of samples; Sulfur minerals; Compositions of sulfides in...
- BURSTING POINT. Marchant, Joanna // New Scientist;7/28/2001, Vol. 171 Issue 2301, p4
Provides information on Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines. Possible effect of the filling of the volcano's crater with rainwater; Consequences when water reaches the notch of the crater; Engineering solutions to the threat of the volcano.
- Geochemical Constraints on Possible Subduction Components in Lavas of Mayon and Taal Volcanoes, Southern Luzon, Philippines. CASTILLO, P. R.; NEWHALL, C. G. // Journal of Petrology;Vol. 45 Issue 6, p1089
Mayon is the most active volcano along the east margin of southern Luzon, Philippines. Petrographic and major element data indicate that Mayon has produced a basaltic to andesitic lava series by fractional crystallization and magma mixing. Trace element data indicate that the parental basalts...
- Geology and hazard implications of the Maraunot notch in the Pinatubo Caldera, Philippines. A. Lagmay; F. Siringan; H. Uy; C. Remotigue; P. Zamora; M. Lapus; R. Rodolfo; J. Ong // Bulletin of Volcanology;Jun2007, Vol. 69 Issue 7, p797
Abstractï¿½ï¿½The 1991 Pinatubo eruption left 5ï¿½6ï¿½km3 of debris on the volcano slopes, much of which has been mobilized into large lahars in the following rainy seasons. Also during the eruption, collapse, localized in part along preexisting faults, left a caldera 2.5ï¿½km in...
- Taming a Monster, Part 2. // Current Science;12/7/2001, Vol. 87 Issue 8, p12
Reports efforts to alleviate the danger of the crater lake of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines. Eruption of the volcano in 1991; Formation of a crater or shallow depression; Danger of the destruction of the weak part of the rim and a consequent catastrophic downpour of rainwater and mud to the...
- Mt. Mayon: An impressive volcano. Murthy, D. B. N. // Alive;Mar2013, Issue 365, p78
The article offers travel tips for Mount Mayon volcano in the province of Albay, Philippines, including how to get there from Manila, where to stay and background information on volcanoes in the country.
- Shall they return? // U.S. News & World Report;7/1/91, Vol. 111 Issue 1, p15
Notes the US Geological Survey is currently running computer mapping exercises to determine whether Clark Air Base in the Philippines will be flooded as rivers full of volcanic ash from Mount Pinatubo change course. Pentagon officials aren't sure that troops evacuated from the base will ever...
- NAF Midway. // Naval Aviation News;Jul/Aug94, Vol. 76 Issue 5, p11
Features the Naval Air Facility in Midway Islands disestablished on October 1, 1993. Events of importance to the place; Renewal of its importance in July 1958; Scope of operations.
- Hub of the Med. Burfeind, B.A. // Naval Aviation News;May/Jun95, Vol. 77 Issue 4, p10
Presents the history of the US Naval Air Station in Sigonella, Italy. Beginning in 1957; Spread of operations; Logistics support. INSET: Exotic Sicily..