FIREWIRE: A $400 MILLION BLACK HOLE
- 1394 serial bus expands roadmap. Krause, Reinhardt // Electronic News (10616624);9/4/95, Vol. 41 Issue 2081, p16
Relates information about the IEEE 1394 device interface and states that supporters of this interface are moving ahead on several fronts. Work on developing a high-end gigabit implementation and design of asynchronous hard disks for real time audio/video editing; Obstacles facing the 1394 roadmap.
- Industry adopts 1394 serial bus. Crothers, Brooke // InfoWorld;1/15/96, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p20
Reports that a group of computer companies in the United States has endorsed the IEEE 1394 serial bus. Texas Instruments Inc.; International Business Machines Corp.; Microsoft Corp.; National Semiconductor Corp.; Adaptec Inc.
- The last millimeter: Connecting high-resolution DTV displays. Pizzi, Skip // World Broadcast Engineering;May2001, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p15
Examines the requirements for high-resolution Digital Television (DTV) displays in Great Britain. Need to establish an accepted interface standards; Development of IEEE 1394 format; Criterion of DTV resolutions.
- SPEED TEST. // Australian Personal Computer;Jul2002, Issue 283, p54
Reports the emergence of IEEE 1394 standard in the computer industry. Inclusion of the serial and parallel bus systems; Use of external hard disk drives; Advancement of data coding.
- DVD Forum Closes In On 1394 Spec. Palenchar, Joseph // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;2/25/2002, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p24
Focuses on the adoption of adoption of IEEE 1394-based technical standard by DVD Forum in the U.S. Details of the standard; Need of the motion picture and music industries to agree to a 1394-interface copy-protection scheme; Advantages of 1394 specification.
- Guidelines Help Implement IEEE 1394 Bus Standard. Lawson, Randy // Electronic Design;10/15/2001, Vol. 49 Issue 21, p71
Focuses on the guidelines for the implementation of IEEE 1394 computer bus standards. Use of 1394 in bridging the gap between interface flexibility and ease of use; Need for system designers to know the standards impacting Firewire in digital television and digital set-top box; Increase in the...
- 1394 a big number for 1996. Bournellis, Cynthia // Australian Personal Computer;Dec95, Vol. 16 Issue 12, p28
Reports on the launching of the IEEE 1394 serial bus as a standard to speed up personal computer (PC) communications. Showcase of high-speed serial ports at the 1995 Comdex show; Support for consumer applications; Market for the international standard.
- Meeting the Challenge of 1394 Interoperability. Snider, James // Electronic News;03/05/2001, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p24
Comments on the interoperability challenges of IEEE 1394 multimedia standard. Introduction of products with 1394; Benefits of 1394; Challenges for any company developing 1394-based systems.
- Not Your Dad's PC. Richman, Mark // Electronic News;11/01/99, Vol. 45 Issue 44, p38
Discusses the applications of the IEEE 1394 interface standard in consumer electronics market. Acceleration of the development of products that incorporate 1394; Importance of the standard in the personal computer industry.