IMPROVING SCHOOL NUTRITION: Sen. proposes free school veggies
- School-lunch law forces change in new nutritional rules. Johnson, Robert C. // Education Week;10/19/94, Vol. 14 Issue 7, p24
Reports on the effect of the child-nutrition bill on the Agriculture Department's proposed schoolmeals regulations. Greater flexibility for schools to meet new dietary standards; Need for schools to cut the fat and salt content of food served; Proposal to require computerized nutrient analysis...
- School lunch program findings indicate success. // High Plains Journal;7/28/2014, Vol. 132 Issue 30, p7A
The article reports on the proposed waiver made by U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama to general a legal appeal to U.S. Department of Agriculture to the development and benefits of the nutrition standards for school lunch programs in the U.S.
- Battle Lines Drawn on Waivers From School Lunch Rules. Blad, Evie // Education Week;6/4/2014, Vol. 33 Issue 33, p10
The article examines the political debate over the implementation of school nutrition standards established by the U.S. Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, focusing on a proposal by the U.S. House Agriculture Appropriations subcommittee to grant some schools waivers from the standards. It...
- Schools Brace for Start Of 'Smart Snack' Rules. Blad, Evie // Education Week;6/11/2014, Vol. 33 Issue 35, p1
The article examines U.S. school districts' preparations for "Smart Snacks in Schools," a set of school nutrition guidelines created by a U.S. Department of Agriculture program. Particular attention is given to the standards for "competitive foods," or food items in vending machines, Ã la...
- THREE SQUARES AT SCHOOL. Finkel, Ed // District Administration;Dec2012, Vol. 48 Issue 11, p49
The article examines the impact of the federal Health, Hunger-Free Kids Act on U.S. public schools. According to Roxanne Moore, national director of wellness for schools at Sodexo food service, the legislation has opened the door of opportunity to provide a well-rounded and nutritious meal for...
- School Food Service. // Illinois Register;12/5/2014, Vol. 38 Issue 49, p23192
The article discusses the notice of adopted amendment issued by the Illinois State Board of Education regarding School Food Service. Topics discussed include implementation of the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act, amendments to the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 by the Healthy, Hunger...
- Nutrition Training, Mentoring To Get National USDA Rollout. Blad, Evie // Education Week;3/18/2015, Vol. 34 Issue 24, p4
The article reports that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will expand the Team Up for School Nutrition Success Initiative, which provided training and mentoring to schools implementing increased nutrition standards.
- Pleasing Sallie Mae. Miller, Ellen S.; Watzma, Nancy // American Prospect;09/25/2000, Vol. 11 Issue 21, p10
Deals with the role of the United States government in the administration of the Student Loan Marketing Association. Taxpayers' subsidy of the private student loan industry; Proposal of Iowa Senator Tom Harkin; Reduction of government subsidies to banks for student loans.
- California's Senate bill seeks to regulate children's school dining. King, Paul // Nation's Restaurant News;6/25/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 26, p22
Comments on a bill passed by the California Senate which seeks to regulate children's school dining. Limit to amount of sugar and fat consumed by students while on school grounds; Reactions from food service directors and school administrators.