Strengths and Weaknesses of Communism
- Communism in Asia. Scalapino, Robert A. // Problems of Post-Communism;Sep/Oct94, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p3
Discusses various aspects concerning the changes among communist countries in Asia. Changes in Leninism in Asia with economic imperatives as factor in the change; Trends toward authoritarian pluralism and not liberal democracy; Impact of the end of the Maoist era; Reforms in the government in...
- Nostalgia for the Communist Past. Gomez, Victor // Transitions Online;11/22/2004, pN.PAG
Discusses the nostalgia felt by citizens in communist countries in Europe for the communist past. Description of the communist era; Top-selling soft drinks in Czechoslovakia and Hungary; Trends in response to the communist-era nostalgia.
- I Saw What Makes Communism Work. Alsop, Stewart // Saturday Evening Post;2/6/1960, Vol. 232 Issue 32, p24
Presents the second of three articles by Stewart Alsop about Communism in Soviet Union. Culture of Communist countries; Treatment of Communist countries to Western Visitor; Characteristics of Communist people.
- The Economic â€žBooming" or Economic Booming of a City during Communism. Bici, Rozeta // Library / Libraria;2011, Vol. 10, p380
Communism as all the regimes has got its own pros and cons in terms of various fields of life. The party- state had its own objectives on different cities and on different fields. As such many cities started to specialize in specific branches of industry. Concretely, Elbasan, one of the cities...
- Were Red China in the UNâ€¦. // America;10/4/1969, Vol. 121 Issue 10, p255
The author argues that members of the United Nations General Assembly can benefit from the open split in the Communist bloc of nations as exemplified by the Sino-Soviet dispute. The author believes that the myth of communism as the wave of the future that prevailed throughout the Third World has...
- Red satellites vs. religion. // America;2/14/1953, Vol. 88 Issue 20, p530
The author reflects on the theme of the Communists, stating that there is no religious persecution in satellite countries. The author highlights the study report published by the National Committee for a Free Europe showing a consistent pattern of religious persecution which forms the...
- COMMUNISM AND NATIONALISM IN TROPICAL AFRICA. Laqueur, Walter Z. // Foreign Affairs;Jul61, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p610
This article discusses communism and nationalism in Tropical Africa. On the African continent the Soviet bloc and China have succeeded in gaining important footholds within a very short space of time. The Communist states are represented in most of the newly independent countries and their...
- Upheaval in China. // Saturday Evening Post;7/30/1966, Vol. 239 Issue 16, p82
Focuses on the status of the communist government of China. Indications of power struggle in the country; Effects of the deteriorating health of communist Mao Tse-Tung on the country; Comparison of China with Russia.
- Associational Culture in Pre-Communist Bulgaria: Considerations for Civil Society and Social Capital. Valkov, Nikolay // Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary & Nonprofit Organiz;Dec2009, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p424
European ex-Communist countries have been widely considered to possess little associational life. The main explanation for this observation has been the lack of organizational vivacity in the past, either during the Communist regime or before it. More recently, however, some researchers, and...