Syfy's 'Being Human' Backs Blood Drives
- In Puerto Rico demand for blood is high, number of donors low. Costas, Jose // Caribbean Business;6/19/1997, Vol. 25 Issue 24, pS4
Focuses on the high demand for blood in Puerto Rico with reference to the lack of sufficient donations. Comments from Dilia M. Borges, laboratory manager for the Puerto Rico chapter of the American Red Cross; Objectives of the Red Cross; Fears of persons concerning blood transfusions.
- Pumping up blood donations. Montague, Jim; Pitman, Hilarie // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;6/20/96, Vol. 70 Issue 12, p13
Reports on the American Red Cross' launch of the RX For Life, an initiative which aims to pump up its blood collection efforts in the United States. Contact information.
- Demands on area blood supply don't take a summer vacation. Plate, David H. // Crain's Cleveland Business;8/05/96, Vol. 17 Issue 32, p11
Reports on the shortage of blood supply during summer vacation in the United States. Percentage of blood collections from high school and college students; Efforts of the American Red Cross Northern Ohio Region to establish partnership with business enterprises; Tax benefits to drive sponsors.
- Throwing out good blood. Hawkins, Dana // U.S. News & World Report;09/01/97, Vol. 123 Issue 8, p26
Points out how the American Red Cross and independent blood centers discard millions of pints of healthy blood each year. The discarding of the good blood because they are drawn from people with hemochromatosis, an ailment in which the body improperly metabolizes iron; The effective treatment...
- Winter Weather Threatens Blood Supply. Elvin, John // Insight on the News;01/29/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p35
Reports on the missed blood donations at the American Red Cross (ARC) due to the winter weather by late December 2000. Number of missed blood donations; Amount of blood the ARC provides to the United States per year; Persons who receive the blood donations.
- Lack of donors jeopardizes ARC apheresis blood donation program. Gigante, Lucienne // Caribbean Business;2/22/2001, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p32
Reports that the American Red Cross Puerto Rico Apheresis blood donation program has been stopped due to lack of donors. Description of the Apheresis blood donation procedure; Reopening of the program three months after closure; Local demand for platelets; Contact information for donors.
- Tears, toil, sweat for blood. Barkholz, David // Crain's Detroit Business;9/24/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 40, p1
Reports on the efforts of Jacquelyn Frederick Grosse, pointer head of American Red Cross in a blood collection campaign for the victims of the terrorist attack. Organization of the blood-collection mobilizations in the United States; Efforts in the increase of blood supply; Acknowledgement on...
- Red Cross handles crush of local donors. Barkholz, David // Crain's Detroit Business;9/24/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 40, p28
Reports on the effort of the American Red Cross to handle blood collection in Detroit, Michigan. Response of the public on the collection procedure; Volunteerism of physicians and nurses on the blood collection processes following September 11 terrorist attack; Requirements of training and...
- Smaller companies pitch in to help the Red Cross. Gopwani, Jewel // Crain's Detroit Business;08/07/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 32, p25
Reports the public appeal of the American Red Cross of Southeastern Michigan for blood donations. Account on the shortage of blood supply; Reason for tapping blood donations from local businesses; Companies participating in the drive of the Red Cross; Impact of the tightening blood donation...