Cutting Video Cord Won't Speed Up 'Net
- Broadband's Rapid Adoption. Johnson, Bradley // Television Week;2/19/2007, Vol. 26 Issue 8, p10
The author reflects on the rapid adoption of broadband in U.S. households. He explains that broadband adoption moved quickly in part because the cable and phone wires needed for service were already largely in place. The author claims that broadband adoption changes how consumers use the...
- `I want my MTV...online'. Berniker, Mark // Broadcasting & Cable;7/17/95, Vol. 125 Issue 29, p42
Reports on the online programming of MTV on the Internet. Positioning as the preeminent source for information about pop music; Work with recording labels; Previous relationship with America Online.
- Dot-com ax. Blum, Stephen // Satellite Broadband;Jun2001, Vol. 2 Issue 6, p28
Focuses on the failure of the Internet industry in 2001. Reliance of Internet-based companies on advertising revenue; How the industry ignored the success of cable television; Discussion on Internet content providers.
- Cable companies to roll out Internet access. Lieber, Tammy // Indianapolis Business Journal;07/12/99, Vol. 20 Issue 17, p14A
Focuses on the preparations of cable television operators in Indianapolis, Indiana to offer Internet access. Comparison of the cable-based Internet service with those based on integrated services digital networks (ISDN); Companies which have started cable-based Internet services.
- Web Name Games Show Media Giants' Schemes. Donohue, Steve // Multichannel News;08/07/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 32, p1
Focuses on Internet ventures that have been announced by major United States cable television companies as of August 7, 2000. Launching of a company by Time Warner Inc. to compete with MTV Networks; Free cable modems from Cablevision Systems; Registration of the web site of C-SPAN to campaign...
- Are You an HPO? Paskowski, Marianne // Multichannel News;12/11/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 50, p48
Comments on developments related to the cable television industry in the United States as of December 11, 2000. Implications for cable television companies of the decline in stock prices of Internet companies; Factors affecting the cable television industry.
- Cable operators tune in to Internet access. Hammer, Dianne // America's Network;7/1/94, Vol. 98 Issue 13, p14
Focuses on the efforts of cable television (CATV) operators and modem manufacturers' interest in the Internet. Ability of CATV's networks to offer Internet access at much higher speeds than traditional copper telephone lines; Comments from Internet Society officials; Availability of Internet...
- Mounting the home-based customer on the Net. Flanigan, James // Indianapolis Business Journal;5/20/96, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p10B
Focuses on the technical breakthrough brought by modems to cable television companies. Expansion of ability to access the Internet; Impact on stock markets; Investments of cable companies.
- Hooked up. Marchand, Nolan // Broadcasting & Cable;09/06/99, Vol. 129 Issue 37, p51
Reports on developments related to cable television and the Internet industry as of September 6, 1999. Includes cable television's ratings performance as better than network television's ratings; Ruling of a United States federal court against Cablevision Systems' lawsuit against RCN Corp.