- FAGNOLA. BISHOP, SEAN // Strad;Oct2006, Vol. 117 Issue 1398, p70
The article reviews Fagnola violas. Annibale Fagnola is regarded as one of the more important viola makers of the 20th century. Based in Turin, Italy at the turn of the 20th century, Fagnola's violas were less than 16 inches in length and were coated in red-brown finish. The ribs and scroll...
- My Space. Payne, Catherine // Strad;Apr2008, Vol. 119 Issue 1416, p75
The article describes the author's top-floor violin restoration workshop in her home in Ann Arbor, Michigan. She claims that the red oak floorboards in her workshop give her a sense of warmth and the light that comes in through the skylight gives them a real glow. She placed a smaller workbench...
- CrÃ¨me de Cremona. Germain, Christopher // Strad;Jan2010, Vol. 121 Issue 1437, p16
The article offers information on the 12th International Triennale violin making competition in Cremona, Italy. It states that the event was attended by over 330 violin makers from 35 countries. Event judge Paolo Salvelli says that a gold medal should only be awarded for an instrument of the...
- Benchmark of fortune. Owen, Laurinel // Strad;Sep2001, Vol. 112 Issue 1337, p980
Features James McKean, former president and active member of the American Federation of Violin and Bow Makers. Description of his studio; Educational background; How he selects his wood.
- TETSUYA KIMURA. Somerford, Peter // Strad;Apr2008, Vol. 119 Issue 1416, p21
The article profiles Tetsuya Kimura, a violin maker based in Yorkshire Dales, England. His home and studio are located in the small village of Hellifield. He studied basic engineering and woodworking in Japan and later moved to northern England to study violin and guitar making at the Leeds...
- MAKERS CONFER DOWN UNDER. // Strad;Feb2006, Vol. 117 Issue 1390, p13
The article announces Australian Violin Makers Conference in Guildford, Victoria, March 3-6, 2005. The conference brings together experts from Europe, the U.S. and Australia. Lectures participating in the conference include Eric Blot, Noel Burke and Christopher Germaine. They will discuss...
- A YEAR IN CREMONA. // Strad;Nov2004, Vol. 115 Issue 1375, p1137
Shares the experiences of a student at the Stradivari International School of Violin Making in Cremona, Italy. Factors which led to the interest of the student in violin making; Nationalities of the students in the school; Challenges faced by the student during the first year.
- Leading light. Owen, Laurinel // Strad;Nov2004, Vol. 115 Issue 1375, p1194
Features musician and violin maker Norman Pickering. Sources of the materials used by Pickering in making a bow and viola; Professional background of Pickering; Ways by which Pickering has influenced the interest of contemporary violin makers towards the technical aspects of a violin; History...
- GILKES. Krattenmacher, Stefan // Strad;
Focuses on the violin design by maker William Gilkes. Balance in the violin design of Gilkes; Advantages of the violin design of Gilkes; Bass makers during the period of Gilkes, including John Lott and Thomas Kennedy.