Tunnel fire triggers Swiss traffic chaos
- SWISS PASSAGE WITHSTANDS FIRE. Reina, Peter // ENR: Engineering News-Record;11/5/2001, Vol. 247 Issue 19, p10
Reports on the fire in Saint Gothard alpine tunnel in Switzerland on October 24, 2001. Number of deaths; Cause of the fire; Number of vehicles caught by the fire.
- 1980 Alps Don't Yield Easily to Record St. Gotthard Tunnel. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;09/20/99, Vol. 243 Issue 12, p27
Discusses the construction of the Saint Gotthard Road Tunnel in Switzerland which was completed in 1980. Information on the failed rail tunnel construction between 1872 and 1882; Challenges in the construction of the tunnel; Description of the tunnel.
- TUNNELS: World's Longest Vehicular Tunnels. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;11/18/2003, Vol. 251 Issue 20a, p38
The article presents information on the longest vehicular tunnels in the world. Laerdal tunnel, located in Norway was completed in 2000 and is 15.3 miles long. It is owned and designed by Norwegian Public Roads Administration. St. Gotthard Road Tunnel in Switzerland, is designed by a joint...
- THE OLD SAINT-GOTHARD LEAVES FROM A NOTE-BOOK. James, Henry // Italian Hours;3/1/2006, p50
The section "The Old Saint-Gothard Leaves from a Note-Book" of the book "Italian Hours," by Henry James is presented. It highlights the author's visit in Berne and Lucerne in Switzerland on his way to Italy and his observation on the culture, people, scenic beauty and American tourists visiting...
- No tunnel station on the Gotthard. // Modern Railways;Dec2007, Vol. 64 Issue 711, p69
The article reports on the decision of the cantonal council to reject proposals for a Porta Alpina station in the middle of the Gotthard base tunnel in Switzerland. The council will write off the 15 million Swiss francs already spent on excavating the waiting areas. A service of six trains a day...
- Marching to a different drummer. Armbruster, William // Journal of Commerce (1542-3867);12/9/2002, Vol. 3 Issue 49, p36
Reports on the status of express freight carrier company TNT Express as of December 2002. List of its rivals in the U.S.; Discussion on its lack of a U.S. domestic service; Plan of its parent company TNT Post Group.
- TNT Mail hits the weekly million mark. // Motor Transport;1/27/2005, p24
Reports that TNT Mail has secured customers for its three months of operation. List of TNT Mail customers.
- TNT Deploys First 757. // Traffic World;8/29/2005, Vol. 269 Issue 35, p31
Reports that TNT Express has bolstered its freighter operations with the launch of its first 757 freighter on its service to Spain. Destinations of the new aircraft; Benefits of the aircraft for company's operation; Capacity of the aircraft.
- TNT Profit Jumps. // Traffic World;5/16/2005, Vol. 269 Issue 20, p30
Reports on the financial performance of Dutch mail and logistics company, TNT Express Worldwide for the first quarter of 2005. Profitability of the company; Expenses incurred in the operation; Factors contributing to the revenue of the company.