New Strip Mall in Rockford, Ill., Mines Energy From Subterranean Power Plant
- Letting off steam. Sole, Andrew // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Mar1995, Vol. 67 Issue 3, p32
Focuses on New Zealand's geothermal power industry. New Zealand's geologic setting; Center of operations for geothermal power generations; Plans to start reinjection at the Waireki plant; Other countries with geothermal fields; Advantages of geothermal energy. INSET: Hot rock..
- Japanese geothermal station in the spotlight. // Power;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 147 Issue 1, p14
Features the Matsukawa geothermal plant in Iwate Prefecture, Japan. Background on the plant; Geothermal resource used by the plant.
- Chapter 1.0: Executive Summary. // Geothermal Generation Report;2009, Vol. 5, p11
The article provides an overview of the geothermal energy in various countries, including the U.S., Philippines, and Indonesia. It highlights the definition and the technologies that harness electricity from geothermal energy. It states that the U.S. geothermal power-generation industry has...
- Geothermal: A PowEARTHful Investment. Welsch, Butch // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;10/21/2013, Vol. 250 Issue 8, p18
The article discusses the aspects making geothermal systems a powerful investments and suggests that contractors should have a solid basic knowledge on geothermal systems and how the systems work.
- Geothermal Update. Manz, Lorraine // NDGS Newsletter;Jan2012, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p19
The article focuses on the geothermal system update in North Dakota as of January 2012. It states that there are 1,135 geothermal installations in the state despite of summer floods in 2011. It notes that the National Geothermal Data System (NDGS) has issued 237 geothermal energy extraction...
- Deep heat. Fishman, David J. // Science World;11/5/93, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p14
Tackles the advantages and drawbacks of using geothermal energy as a power source in Hawaii. Formation of volcanoes and geysers; Tapping the explosive source of energy; Five drawbacks of geothermal energy; Industrial scrubbers for cleaning up poisons generated by geothermal energy; Solar energy...
- Geothermal Energy in Central America. HYMANS, JACQUES E. C // ReVista: Harvard Review of Latin America;Fall2015, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p42
The article offers information on the geothermal energy in several countries in Central America including El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Guatemala and mentions on the geothermal production in Central America.
- HEAT SPRINGS ETERNAL. Crump, Jennifer // Canadian Geographic;Jul/Aug2003, Vol. 123 Issue 4, p24
Reports on a study launched by the municipality and private partners of Timmins, Ontario which investigated the use of geothermal energy from an abandoned McIntyre mine. Advantages of geothermal energy; Limitation of geothermal technology.
- Can British "hot rock" energy project defy past failures? Cohen, David // New Scientist;6/6/2009, Vol. 202 Issue 2711, p11
The article reports on the launch of a British project that aims to extract geothermal energy from hot dry rocks in June 2009. The project involves building a 3-megawatt commercial geothermal energy plant to power the Eden Project in Cornwall and the nearby community. The success of the project...