Hostile Bidders, Long-Term Performance, and Restructuring Methods: Evidence from the UK
- Determinants of Bidder Competition in Corporate Takeovers. Noronha, Gregory M.; Sen, Nilanjan; Smith, David M. // Journal of Economics & Finance;Fall96, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p39
The importance of bidder competition in the corporate takeover process has long been recognized in theoretical models. This paper provides empirical tests of those models. The results indicate that resistance by target management to an initial bid encourages multiple bidders. Competing bidders...
- Citicorp, CGW Southeast outbid Guardian for Cameron Ashley. Green, Leslie // Crain's Detroit Business;04/03/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 14, p2
Reports the outbidding of Guardian Industries Corp. by CGW Southeast Partners IV LP and an affiliate of Citigroup's Citicorp Venture Capital Ltd. for the acquisition of Cameron Ashley Building Products Inc. in the United States.
- Competitive Bidding Adds Complexity, Lawyers to Deals. Yu, Jane // Orange County Business Journal;1/23/2012, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p35
The article offers views concerning the potential of competitive topping bids to generate more business for mergers and acquisition lawyers in California.
- Safeway-mania hits M&A as six bidders go head-to-head. Jordan, Dearbail // Lawyer;1/27/2003, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p11
Looks at how the takeover panel will respond to different strategies being employed by company bidders and lawyers to gain the Safeway deal. Lack of large scale European M&A work; Reasons why bidders plump for a preconditional offer; Implication of using a timeframe in the Safeway deal.
- Northrop Grumman launches bid for TRW. Miel, Rhoda // Plastics News;2/25/2002, Vol. 13 Issue 51, p23
Announces the unsolicited bid to purchase TRW Inc. by Northrop Grumman Corp. Advantages of the proposal; Overview of TRW; Details on the number of stocks of TRW.
- AT&T: Bontemps Roulez A wireless spinoff and broadband sale draw interest. Tunick, Britt // Investment Dealers' Digest;7/16/2001, Vol. 67 Issue 28, pN.PAG
Discusses how U.S. company AT&T Corp. conducted a sale of its wireless unit and entertained a bid for its broadband division without either of the deals affecting each other. Stake of the company in its wireless division; Policies used by underwriters in both the deals.
- Gains to Bidder Firms Revisited: Domestic and Foreign Acquisitions in Canada. Eckbo, B. Espen; Thorburn, Karin S. // Journal of Financial & Quantitative Analysis;Mar2000, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p1
We present large sample evidence on the performance of domestic and U.S. (foreign) bidder firms acquiring Canadian targets. Domestic bidders earn significantly positive average announcement period abnormal returns, while U.S. bidder returns are indistinguishable from zero. Measures of pre- and...
- News Briefs. // Nation's Restaurant News;03/13/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 11, p3
Reports developments related to the restaurant industry in the United States as of March 2000. Includes acquisition of Mirage Resorts Inc. by MGM Grand Inc.; List of bidders for the Entertainment division of Ogden Corp.; Aramark Corp. as food provider for American athletes, media and officials...
- Professional Monitor. // SC Magazine: For IT Security Professionals (UK Edition);Aug/Sep2009, p66
The article discusses outsourcing as a growing corporate strategy. It reports that organisations are looking into functions that are outsourced or acquired from third-party services who, in turn, become more and more accessible to valuable data. It also notes that third-party entities are...