Biosafety and biosecurity as essential pillars of international health security and cross-cutting elements of biological nonproliferation
- Laboratory capacity building for the International Health Regulations (IHR) in resource-poor countries: the experience of the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET). Masanza, Monica Musenero; Nqobile, Ndlovu; Mukanga, David; Gitta, Sheba Nakacubo // BMC Public Health;Jan2010 Supplement 1, Vol. 10, p1
Laboratory is one of the core capacities that countries must develop for the implementation of the International Health Regulations (IHR) since laboratory services play a major role in all the key processes of detection, assessment, response, notification, and monitoring of events. While...
- Grzyby glebowe potencjalnie chorobotwÃ³rcze dla czÅ‚owieka i zwierzÄ…t z leÅ›nych terenÃ³w rekreacyjnych Åodzi. Głowacka, Anna; Przychodzień, Agnieszka; Szwedek, Anna // Medical Mycology / Mikologia;2007, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p89
Introduction: Soil is one of the saprobiontic fungi including moulds habitats in natural enviroment. Moulds' metabolism is intense due to enzymes activity, therefore they can degrade almost every substance. Aim: The aim of this study was to isolate moulds, to characterise the their hydrolases...
- Evaluation of the Operator Protection Factors Offered by Positive Pressure Air Suits against Airborne Microbiological Challenge. Steward, Jackie A.; Lever, Mark S. // Viruses (1999-4915);Aug2012, Vol. 4 Issue 8, p1202
Laboratories throughout the world that perform work with Risk Group 4 Pathogens generally adopt one of two approaches within BSL-4 environments: either the use of positive pressure air-fed suits or using Class III microbiological safety cabinets and isolators for animal work. Within the UK at...
- Building capacity to reduce biological threats in the Middle East. Holloway, P.; Musallam, I.; Whiting, M.; Good, L.; Van Winden, S.; Silva-Fletcher, A.; Ababneh, M.; Abu-Basha, E.; Guitian, J. // Veterinary Record: Journal of the British Veterinary Association;10/3/2015, Vol. 177 Issue 13, p337
The author reflects on the 2012 World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) vision which aims to reduce the biological threats in the Middle East. Among the strategies being considered to reduce the biological threats include building capacity for biosafety, biosecurity, and disease surveillance,...
- INTERNATIONAL HEALTH REGULATIONS. // Weekly Epidemiological Record;9/15/2006, Vol. 81 Issue 37, p356
A table is presented that lists notifications of cholera in Ghana, Guinea, and Liberia in Africa, which were received from September 8 to 14, 2006 by the International Health Regulations.
- MTP for laboratory biosafety held at UVAS. // Technology Times;9/21/2015, Vol. 6 Issue 38/39, p4
The article reports on a 2015 Master Trainer Programme for Laboratory Bio-safety and Risk Management that was conducted by the Department of Microbiology of the University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Pakistan and discussed bio-dangers connected with pathogens of human and animal origin.
- Biosecurity at research labs. // Veterinary Record: Journal of the British Veterinary Association;12/15/2007, Vol. 161 Issue 24, p801
The Innovation, Universities and Skills Committee of the British government has announced an investigation into biosecurity at research laboratories. Scheduled to start in 2008, the investigation will focus on research work conducted on dangerous pathogens, as well as the containment and...
- INTERNATIONAL HEALTH REGULATIONS. // Weekly Epidemiological Record;6/23/2006, Vol. 81 Issue 25, p248
The article presents a format for the notifications of diseases received from 16 to 22 June 2006 of the International Health Regulations.
- WHO Statement on the Meeting of the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee Concerning the International Sp. // African Business News;5/5/2014, p17
The article offers information on the teleconference of the Emergency Committee convened by the Director-General of the World Health Organization under the International Health Regulations held on April 28, 2014 and on April 29, 2014 in Geneva, Switzerland. It notes the meeting of the members of...