Effects of lifestyle education program for type 2 diabetes patients in clinics: study design of a cluster randomized trial
- Prevalence of abnormal glucose metabolism in atrial fibrillation: A case control study in 75-year old subjects. Johansen, Odd Erik; Brustad, Ellen; Enger, Steve; Tveit, Arnljot // Cardiovascular Diabetology;2008, Vol. 7, p1
Background: The prevalence of atrial fibrillation (AF) is increasing world wide and amongst factors that aggravate the risk is diabetes mellitus (DM), also in epidemic development. However, although DM is a potentially modifiable risk factor for AF, few, if any, studies have explored the...
- Estudio Parto: postpartum diabetes prevention program for hispanic women with abnormal glucose tolerance in pregnancy: a randomised controlled trial - study protocol. Chasan-Taber, Lisa; Marcus, Bess H.; Rosal, Milagros C.; Tucker, Katherine L.; Hartman, Sheri J.; Pekow, Penelope; Braun, Barry; Moore Simas, Tiffany A.; Solomon, Caren G.; Manson, JoAnn E.; Markenson, Glenn // BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth;2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p1
Background: Diabetes and obesity have reached epidemic proportions in the U.S. with rates consistently higher among Hispanics as compared to non-Hispanic whites. Among Hispanic women diagnosed with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM), 50% will go on to develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years of...
- Effect of genetic variation in the organic cation transporter 1 (OCT1) on metformin action. Yan Shu; Sheardown, Steven A.; Brown, Chaline; Owen, Ryan P.; Shuzhong Zhang; Castro, Richard A.; Ianculescu, Alexandra G.; Lin Yue; Lo, Joan C.; Burchard, Esteban G.; Brett, Claire M.; Giacomini, Kathleen M. // Journal of Clinical Investigation;May2007, Vol. 117 Issue 5, p1422
Metformin is among the most widely prescribed drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Organic cation transporter 1 (OCT1) plays a role in the hepatic uptake of metformin, but its role in the therapeutic effects of the drug, which involve activation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), is...
- Fasting Glucose and Progression of Impaired Glucose Tolerance. Cockram, Clive S.; Chou, Pesus; Chia-Lin Li; Shih-Tzer Tsai // Diabetes Care;Feb99, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p369
Comments on a study which examined progression of diabetes from impaired glucose tolerance conducted by researcher Pesus Chou. Methodology; Findings of the study; Response from the author of the study.
- Pioglitazone for diabetes prevention. Elliott, William T. // Infectious Disease Alert;May2011 Clinical Bri, p1
The article reports on the discovery that pioglitazone reduces the risk of diabetes among patients with impaired glucose tolerance in an industry-sponsored study.
- Demand up for better glucose self-monitoring devices. // Healthcare Purchasing News;May2003, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p24
Reports on an increase in the demand for glucose self-monitoring devices in the U.S. Factors that contribute to the growing incidence of diabetes; Reason behind the adoption of devices; Revenue posted by self-monitoring devices market in 2002.
- Ten-year follow-up report on Birmingham Diabetes Survey of 1961. // British Medical Journal;7/3/1976, Vol. 2 Issue 6026, p35
Focuses on the effects of glucose tolerance test (GTT) on diabetic patients included in the Birmingham Diabetes Survey of 1961 in England. Reactions of patients belonging to the controlled group; Identification of abnormalities of the GTT diabetes; Diagnosis for development of florid diabetes.
- oral glucose tolerance test. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1639
A definition of the term "oral glucose tolerance test," which refers to a screening test for diabetes mellitus, is presented.
- Identification of Persons at High Risk for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Do We Need the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test? Stern, Michael P.; Williams, Ken; Haffner, Steven M. // Annals of Internal Medicine;4/16/2002, Vol. 136 Issue 8, p575
Background: The standard method of identifying persons at high risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus involves detection of impaired glucose tolerance, which requires a costly and inconvenient 2-hour oral glucose tolerance test. Because clinical trials have indicated that diabetes is preventable by...