Marital status and educational level associated to obesity in Greek adults: data from the National Epidemiological Survey
- Gender, Marital Status, and Body Weight in Older U.S. Adults. Sobal, Jeffery; Rauschenbach, Barbara S. // Gender Issues;Summer2003, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p75
Marital terminations are life transitions that may lead to changes in diet, activity, and body weight. This investigation examined how marital status was associated with relative body weight, underweight, overweight, and obesity among men and women in the United States using cross-sectional...
- Little change in U.S. obesity rates in recent years. Pittman, Genevra // Ebn.benefitsnews.com;1/18/2012, p1
The article reports that a U.S. government research has found that in 2009 and 2010, about one in three adults and one in six kids and teens were obese.
- The Skinny on Success: Body Mass, Gender and Occupational Standing Across the Life Course. Glass, Christy M.; Haas, Steven A.; Reither, Eric N. // Social Forces;Jun2010, Vol. 88 Issue 4, p1777
Several studies have analyzed the impact of obesity on occupational standing. This study extends previous research by estimating the influence of body mass on occupational attainment over three decades of the career using data from the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study. In a series of covariance...
- Prevalence of Overweight, Obesity, and Abdominal Obesity in a Representative Sample of Portuguese Adults. Sardinha, Luís B.; Santos, Diana A.; Silva, Analiza M.; Coelho-e-Silva, Manuel J.; Raimundo, Armando M.; Moreira, Helena; Santos, Rute; Vale, Susana; Baptista, Fátima; Mota, Jorge // PLoS ONE;Oct2012, Vol. 7 Issue 10, Special section p1
This study determined the prevalence of overweight, obesity, and abdominal obesity in the Portuguese adults and examined the relationship between above mentioned prevalences and educational level. Body mass, stature, and waist circumference were measured in a representative sample of the...
- The correlation between educational levels and central obesity in the north of Iran: An epidemiologic study. Veghari, Gholamreza; Sedaghat, Mehdi; Maghsodlo, Siavash; Banihashem, Samieh; Moharloei, Pooneh; Angizeh, Abdolhamid; Tazik, Ebrahim; Moghaddami, Abbas // ARYA Atherosclerosis;2013, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p217
BACKGROUND: The main aim of this study was to evaluate the association between educational levels and central obesity in northern Iran in 2010. METHODS: This was a cross-sectional study carried out on 2428 subjects (1227 men and 1201 women) of 15-65 years of age who were chosen by cluster and...
- Mobility Devices Being Employed Sooner. // USA Today Magazine;Oct2010, Vol. 139 Issue 2785, p7
The article reports on a study conducted by researchers from Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana that marks the use of mobility devices such as walkers, crutches and canes by obese older adults at a younger age.
- POLLUTION IS GOING STRAIGHT TO OUR HIPS. // Popular Science;Mar2009, Vol. 274 Issue 3, p50
The article discusses theories about what may be contributing to the obesity epidemic in the U.S. While overweight people are often viewed as having weak willpower, the author attests that this may not be the case. It is suggested that specific man-made chemicals found in plastic, such as...
- Half an hour of daily exercise is insufficient for sustained weight loss. // Community Practitioner;Sep2008, Vol. 81 Issue 9, p41
The article presents a study which aims to calculate the amount of exercise needed by overweight and obese women by researchers from Pittsburgh University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Study shows that women who maintained a loss of 10% or more in two years were reportedly performing more...
- 6. CHARACTERISTICS OF MEMBERS OF HOUSEHOLDS. // Montenegro Household Survey;Jun2002, Issue 4, p35
Provides information on the characteristics of the members of households in Montenegro. Level of education; Marital status; Gender and age.