Culture Decoder: For Real?
- Fox Reality Sneak Attack. Ryan, Leslie // Electronic Media;3/3/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p1
Reports that Fox Television has the largest number of viewers in the adults 18 to 49 demographics, for the month of February 2003 for the reality shows 'Joe Millionaire' and 'American Idol.' Plans to telecast 'Married by America,' in place of 'Joe Millionaire,' from March 03, 2003; Television...
- GETTING PUCKED UP. // Entertainment Weekly;6/29/2001-7/06/2001, Issue 602/603, p124
Looks at ways people can amuse themselves while watching a reality television program.
- Reality shares the wealth. Chunovic, Louis // Electronic Media;2/24/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 8, p18
Reports on the influence of reality-based television programs on the audience composition. Statistical information on share of adults viewing reality programs; Changes in minds of advertisers on the reality genre's ratings; Need for advertisers to judge each reality series individually.
- Public turns off election and switches to reality TV. Douglas, Torin // Marketing Week;6/7/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 17, p19
Suggest that the general elections in Great Britain failed to capture the public's imagination and has been overtaken by reality television programs in terms of viewership. Effort of journalists and programme-makers in getting people interested in the elections; Success of reality television;...
- Dose of reality for Sky One lineup. Turner, Mimi // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;8/20/2002, Vol. 374 Issue 42, p10
Reports on the action-packed reality-based programs that digital entertainment channel Sky One plans to show in Great Britain. Audiences targeted by the channel; Channel's share in total television viewership in Great Britain; Name of the program that shows British martial arts students who...
- REALITY'S TWO-WAY HIGHWAY. Hopewell, John; Guider, Elizabeth; Dawtrey, Adam; Clarke, Steve; de Pablos, Emiliano; Edmunds, Marlene; James, Alison; Koehl, Christian; Zecchinelli, Cecilia // Variety;7/19/2004, Vol. 395 Issue 9, p17
Focuses on the popularity and demand of U.S.-based and Europe-based reality television shows that are being licensed around the world. Challenges facing broadcasters buying into U.S. formats; Target audiences of reality television shows; Distinction between U.S. and European tastes in...
- WHY AMERICA LOVES REALITY TV. Reiss, Steven; Wiltz, James // Psychology Today;Sep/Oct2001, Vol. 34 Issue 5, p52
Examines the fascination of the people in the United States with reality television programs. Criticisms against the voyeurism of reality television programs; Findings of a survey which examined the reasons for the public's fascination with reality programs; Misconceptions about reality...
- Clean Sweeps. Berman, Marc // MediaWeek;12/6/2004, Vol. 14 Issue 44, p34
Analyzes the result of the November 2004 sweeps. Genre that CBS used in the sweep; Reality shows featured in the sweep; Implication of the lackluster programming for television networks; Result of the November 2004 sweep for the various television networks.
- The social acceptability of fake goods. Cathcart, Brian // New Statesman;7/30/2007, Vol. 136 Issue 4855, p29
In this article the author discusses the willingness on the part of television viewers to tolerate the lack of veracity in reality television shows. The column is written as a result of incidents of deceit revealed at the British Broadcasting Corporation in 2007. The author also comments on...