Opera for Dummies
- A Merry Marionette. Justice, Linda Masternak // Calliope;May2001, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p40
Offers tips on how to create a marionette. Materials needed; Procedures in making the head; Steps in constructing the body, arms and control; Description of marionette playing.
- Burmese Marionettes: Yokthe Thay in Transition. Foley, Kathy // Asian Theatre Journal;Spring2001, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p69
Comments on the traditional puppet theater of Burma. Revival of the Burmese marionette art yokthe thay; Traditional performance; Historical background of the yokthe genre.
- A Cinderella Story. Schaefer, Peter // Puppetry Journal;Fall2004, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p15
Relates an experience in the production of the puppet play "Cinderella," in Roswell, Georgia. Impact of the loss of the marionettes for the play on the production team; Efforts of the team to provide replacements for the stolen marionettes; Details of the recovery of the stolen marionettes.
- La MaMa Kids Performance: Czechoslovak-American Marionette Theatre with VÃt HorejÅ¡. // SoHo Journal: The Magazine of Arts & Politics;Oct2013, p1
The article highlights "La MaMa Kids Performance: Czechoslovak-American Marionete Theatre with VÃ Horejz" to be performed on October 19, 2013 at the Ellen Stewart Theatre, 66 East 4th Street, New York City.
- DOLL FACE. Acocella, Joan // New Yorker;11/16/2009, Vol. 85 Issue 37, p16
The article reviews the puppetry show "Twelfth Night," performed at the Marionette Theatre in New York City.
- Backstage and on Tour with Yorick's Marionettes. Novak, Agnès; Petráň, Dušan // Theatralia;2015, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p387
This article documents the story of Yorick's Marionettes, a company established by a Czech performer and puppet maker DuÅ¡an PetrÃ¡Åˆ in 1990. The company was active in the USA between 1990 and 2010, and has been resident in France since 2010, developing the cultural heritage of...
- Puppet Cabaret: Visual Idioms, Performance Technologies and the Poetics of Czech Special Puppets in a European Context 1850-1950. Jirásková, Marie; Jirásek, Pavel // Theatralia;2015, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p70
This article brings an analysis of the history and development of variety and trick puppets in the Czech lands between 1850 and 1950 together with a discussion of the extant artefacts, with a particular focus on the mechanics of these special puppets and their innovations during the Modernist...
- Love among the puppets. Gross, Kenneth // Raritan;Summer97, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p67
Explores the world of puppets and marionettes. The career and personal experiences of puppeteer Mickey Sabbath; Differences and similarities between live theater and puppet theater; The puppets Punch and Judy; Stories that are ideal for puppets and marionettes.
- The accidental artist. Fay, Martha // Real Simple;Nov2000, Vol. 1 Issue 7, p146
This article focuses on marionettes made by Campbell Geeslin. He made his first marionette circa 1932, when he was six or seven. Folly number two was a buxom showgirl. This was in Brady, Texas, where Geeslin, the fourth of five boys, spent the better part of every Sunday in church, being bored...