Some business people praise El Nino; others curse it
- More from the menace. Larmer, Brook; Long, Thomas // Bulletin with Newsweek;10/07/97, Vol. 116 Issue 6092, p69
Reports on the forecasted effect of the El Nino current on Latin American countries in 1997-1998. Floods and droughts from Mexico to Chile; Hurricane Nora; Comments from Marvin Solorzano of Nicaragua's electricity company; Nicaragua's dependence on hydroelectric power; Effects on other Latin...
- Winter Temperatures: Warm in North, Normal Elsewhere. // American Gas;Nov2002, Vol. 84 Issue 9, p6
Reports on the effect of El NiÃ±o on natural gas utilities in the U.S. Forecast of the weather condition in the different states; Protection of other weather-sensitive industries; Plan of the companies for the protection of the industries.
- EL NI?O AND WORLD PRIMARY COMMODITY PRICES: WARM WATER OR HOT AIR? Brunner, Allan D. // Working Papers -- U.S. Federal Reserve Board's International Fin;1998, p1
Some believe that the current El Ni?o is the most severe episode in the past 100 years. This paper sketches the historical effects of El Ni?o on world primary commodity prices, in addition to other measures of world economic activity. There is a great deal of interest in the effects of...
- California streamin': A washout for stores but not indoor... Hammond, Teena // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;2/25/1998, Vol. 175 Issue 36, p1
Discusses the effects of the El Nino-generated storms on the retail trade of Los Angeles, California. Lost sales reported by retailers; Higher-than-normal customer traffic in enclosed malls; Details about the storms that hit Los Angeles from December 1997 to February 1998; Other concerns of...
- Demand for accurate weather predictions heralds burgeoning business opportunity for private forecasting firms. // FRPT- FMCG Snapshot;5/4/2014, p28
The article reports on the business opportunities presented by the demand for precise weather predictions to forecasting companies in India in 2014. Topics covered include the local private entrants to climate forecasting including Skymet Weather Services and Express Weather, the June-September...
- Options Dry Up. MATHEW, JOE C. // India Today;10/11/2015, p22
The article cites the inadequate preparation of the Indian government for the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD)-predicted 2015 drought due to the El Nino effect. Topics covered include revision of Skymet weather agency rainfall estimates, IMD rainfall data lower than the long-period average...
- Bigger bag of woes: Met department warns of 7% rain deficit, 70% chance of El Nino. // FRPT- FMCG Snapshot;6/15/2014, p23
The article reports the weather forecast by India Meteorological (Met) Department as of mid-June 2014 and its possible effects in the food and agriculture sectors. The Met projected a 70% chance of El Nino by July and early August, while only 93% of average rainfall will come in the monsoon...
- El Nino. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2000, p234
No abstract available.
- El Nino. // Outdoor Life;Jan84, Vol. 174 Issue 1, p32
An explanation of the huge current of warm water that comes across the Pacific from Asia and warms West Coast waters 8-10 degrees. This change can raise havoc with fish and plants, and it can change weather patterns. Scientists are divided how the current starts and stops and when it will end.