Clinical and management challenges in preventing venous thromboembolism in health systems: A case-based panel discussion
- Improving anticoagulant use for prevention of venous thromboembolism. Haines, Stuart T. // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;5/15/2010 Supplement, Vol. 67, pS2
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one on the prevention of venous thromboembolism (VTE) as well as the strategies to improve the use of anticoagulant to patients with VTE, one on the use of drug therapies for VTE prophylaxis, and one on the clinical and...
- Improving anticoagulant use for prevention of venous thromboembolism. // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;5/15/2010 Supplement, Vol. 67, pS31
The article presents a lesson plan for continuing education, which teaches concepts on the use of anticoagulant to prevent venous thromboembolism.
- Regional citrate anticoagulation in continuous venovenous hemofiltration in critically ill patients with a high risk of bleeding. Palsson, Runolfur; Niles, John L. // Kidney International;May1999, Vol. 55 Issue 5, p1991
Regional citrate anticoagulation in continuous venovenous hemofiltration in critically ill patients with a high risk of bleeding. Background. Systemic heparinization is associated with a high rate of bleeding when used to maintain patency of the extracorporeal circuit during continuous renal...
- Heparin prophylaxis has no benefit in medical patients. Snee, Michael // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;8/4/2012, Vol. 345 Issue 7868, p29
The article discusses about the heparin prophylaxis for venous thromboembolism (VTE). The study found that deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in medical patients cannot to prevented and also found there is no benefit for heparin prophylaxis. The counselling given to the medical patients are highlighted.
- Delayed-Onset Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia. Rice, Lawrence; Attisha, Walid K.; Drexler, Alane; Francis, John L. // Annals of Internal Medicine;2/5/2002, Vol. 136 Issue 3, p210
Examines the clinical scenario of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia among patients in the U.S. Significance of early detection of thrombocytopenia for the prevention of arterial or venous thromboemboli; Effects of delayed recognition on patient outcome; Efficacy of anticoagulants in treating...
- Heparin. // Reactions Weekly;1/11/2014, Issue 1483, p50
The article presents a case report on the adverse reaction of heparin to a 51-year-old man who developed heparin-induced thrombocytopenia and left ventricular (LV) thrombus after receiving the treatment.
- Heparin. // Reactions Weekly;Aug2015, Vol. 1563 Issue 1, p115
The article presents a case study of an 84-year-old man who developed thrombocytopenia while receiving heparin.
- Emerging anticoagulants for venous thromboembolism prevention. Trujillo, Toby C. // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;5/15/2010 Supplement, Vol. 67, pS17
Purpose. To discuss the advantages and disadvantages of currently available anticoagulants, describe the characteristics of the ideal anticoagulant, and compare and contrast the mechanisms of action, pharmacokinetics, administration, efficacy, safety, and potential for drug interactions of...
- Issues in assessing and reducing the risk for venous thromboembolism. Dager, William E. // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;5/15/2010 Supplement, Vol. 67, pS9
Purpose. To describe issues and challenges associated with venous thromboembolism (VTE) risk assessment and the use of drug therapies for VTE prophylaxis. Summary. Patients at risk for VTE are aheterogeneous group. Systems for scoring VTE risk have been developed to identify patients who warrant...