Coming home to roost--wild turkeys
- Whiter than white. // Outdoor Life;Oct95, Vol. 196 Issue 4, p14
Reports on the bagging of a rare wild Merriam's turkey in Tucson, Arizona. Distinguishing features of the bird; Information from the Arizona Game and Fish Department.
- Turkey. // Outdoor Life;Apr96, Vol. 197 Issue 4, p76
Features the wild turkey or springtime gobbler for bird hunting enthusiasts. Species and population distribution; Physical features and mating behavior; Seasonal pattern of gobbling activity; Growth and survival.
- The wild turkey. Weidensaul, Scott // Country Journal;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p53
Focuses on the wild turkey. Intelligence; Visual acuity; Size; Turkeys as among the biggest birds in North America; Meleagris gallopavo as the species inhabiting north Mexico; Description; Mating and hatching of eggs. INSET: Are turkeys from Turkey?.
- Talking Turkey. Berger, Cynthia // Country Journal;Nov/Dec99, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p52
Focuses on the return of wild turkeys in the United States.
- Ben's bird. Reiger, G. // Field & Stream;May89, Vol. 93 Issue 5, p48
Discusses Benjamin Franklin's recommendation to replace the US national emblem, the bald eagle, with the wild turkey. Brief history of the wild turkey.
- Turkey program winding down. Reynolds, J. // Field & Stream;Aug90, Vol. 95 Issue 4, p62
Reports on the success of the Massachusetts turkey-restoration program. Wild turkeys released at 18 sites in 1972-73; Wild turkeys now thriving.
- Portraits in bronze. Barsness, John // Field & Stream;May93, Vol. 98 Issue 1, p44
Discusses four subspecies of wild turkeys in the United States. Rio Grande turkey; Eastern turkey; Florida turkey; Merriam's turkey; Locations; Habitat; Anecdotes; Hints on hunting.
- Gobblers galore: Turkeys continue comeback. Stewart, Doug // National Wildlife (World Edition);Oct/Nov97, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p14
Focuses on wild turkeys in the United States. Indepth look at how turkeys live; Reference made to Turkey Hill; Estimation of the amount of turkeys present at the hill; Details on the extinction of most of the turkeys from Turkey Hill; Comments from biologist James Earl Kennamer, vice president...
- The subspecies of wild turkeys. // Outdoor Life;Mar95, Vol. 195 Issue 3, p90
Discusses the differences among four strains of wild turkeys in North America. Includes the Eastern subspecies; Osceola wild turkey; Merriam's turkey; Rio Grande turkey.
- Alfred Hitchcock had nothing on these birds. Budris, John // Christian Science Monitor;4/2/98, Vol. 90 Issue 88, p17
Relates how the author's neighbor was able to keep the wild turkeys which live in Martha's Vineyard out of his garden. Different things that he tried; Why he finally chose a slingshot and marbles; Problems that residents of Martha's Vineyard have had with wild turkeys.