Attention migratory bird hunters
- When the music's over. Carpenter, B. // U.S. News & World Report;11/25/91, Vol. 111 Issue 22, p59
Details how, as woodland habitat is fragmented, American songbirds are vanishing. A survey sponsored by the US Fish and Wildlife Service shows drops ranging from 11 percent to 88 percent among more than two dozen species of songbirds over the past decade. The outlook on various types of...
- The songbird connection. Walters, Mark Jerome // Animals;Jul/Aug93, Vol. 126 Issue 4, p22
Investigates for reasons behind the decline of songbird populations. Use of DDT; Ornithologists' concerns; Scientific observations; First noting in the eastern regions; `Forest fragmentation effect'; Suburban predators; Parasitic birds; Loss of wintering range in the Dominican Republic.
- Modern mariners meet their albatross. Elvin, John // Insight on the News;04/21/97, Vol. 13 Issue 14, p34
Reports on anecdotal news reports relating to the protection of birds in the United States. Inability of the US Navy to fully prevent nesting seagulls at helicopter landing pad; Prohibition of fireworks at Kalmus Park in Massachusetts to protect a plover nest.
- Phenomena, comment and notes. Wiley Jr., J.P. // Smithsonian;Feb90, Vol. 20 Issue 11, p28
Account of the decline in forest birds, where time is running out for them both on their breeding grounds here and where they winter in the tropics. Data on decline over the past ten years; Meeting of over 300 ornithologist at Woods Hole Ma.; Problems causing decline, including reproductive...
- Disappearing common birds send environmental wake-up call. // Grand Saline Sun (TX);6/21/2007, Vol. 111 Issue 25, p8
The article reports on conservation efforts for some of the most beloved and recognizable birds in Texas in 2007.
- Saving China's Birds. Calderazzo, John // Audubon;Nov85, Vol. 87 Issue 6, p48
Provides a historical overview of the conservation of China's birds. Pioneers in conservation; Outcomes of the second national conference on environmental protection in China; Protection of migratory birds; Cooperation with foreign experts willing to share their knowledge and technology.
- Migrating birds find a slim choice of stops. Colhoun, Alexander // Christian Science Monitor;11/18/99, Vol. 91 Issue 247, p17
Relates the concerns of conservationists over resting areas of migratory birds on their way south and efforts to preserve the areas.
- How seabirds win and lose in the fishing stakes. Barnett, Adrian // New Scientist;4/10/93, Vol. 138 Issue 1868, p7
Presents a report on seabirds in the North Sea from the World Wide Fund for Nature. Birds benefitting from unwanted fish dumped by fishing boats; Causes of death for seabirds; Statistics on fishing activity in the North Sea; European fishing quotas; Danger of oil pollution; Declaring North Sea...
- My long walk. Mueller, Bill // Bird Watching;Apr2014, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p32
In this article, the author shares his experience of traveling across Wisconsin for bird conservation.