The continuing saga of acid rain
- COMING FULL CIRCLE -- After recovering from acid rain, Brooktrout Lake once has brook trout. Mitchell, Leila // New York State Conservationist;Aug2014, Vol. 69 Issue 1, p12
The article discusses the successful recovery of Brooktrout Lake from acid rain in Hamilton County, New York. Topics covered include the country's first law to control acid rain that was passed by New York State in 1984, how the brook trout population in the area went missing in 1984, and the...
- ACID RAIN CLEANUP. // Pollution Engineering;Jul2006, Vol. 38 Issue 7, p10
This article reports that Brooktrout Lake located in the Adirondack Mountains in New York has become a textbook example of a dead lake caused by an acid rain. Clifford Siegfried, director of the New York State Museum and a freshwater ecologist who has studied the Adirondack lakes since 1984...
- Healing waters. Lonberger, William // Backpacker;Jun96, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p127
Presents the author's journal entries during his annual trips to a tiny lake in New York's Adirondack Mountains. Invigoration which the trips provide to the author; Coming back to the lake with his wife and son; Journal entries in 1976, 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993.
- Species-introduction failure. // Field & Stream;Oct84, Vol. 88 Issue 10, p19
Attempts by the US Fish Commission and sport fishermen to improve Tuxedo Lake in New York State by introducing non-native species was a failure. It can teach us the lesson that tampering with nature is opening a Pandora's Box of unforeseeable results, and that the impulse to remake nature,...
- Long Lake. Jemmott, Janet M.; Farb, Nathan // Cortlandt Forum;2/25/96, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p177
Presents a photograph of Long Lake in Hamilton County, New York.
- Getaway. Mycek, Shari // InStyle;Nov2003, Vol. 10 Issue 12, p426
Presents a brief information about Saranac Lake in New York City.
- Washington Lake now closed on weekdays. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;8/6/93 - 8/16/93, Vol. 5 Issue 34, p43
Reports on the closure of Washington Lake in Newburgh, New York on weekdays according to City Recreation Supervisor Wilbur Higgins. Schedule of operations; Operation of Brown's pond; Contact information.
- Quadri ... what? // Westchester County Business Journal;7/21/2008, Vol. 47 Issue 29, p4
The author reflects on the Hudson Fulton Champlain Quadricentennial Celebration (QC) in New York. According to the author, in the Hudson Valley, the only ones who are hanging their hat on the QC are the people promoting the Walkway Over the Hudson , the rehabbing of the old Poughkeepsie railroad...
- Restoring The Lake. Gilman, B. // Conservationist;Mar/Apr91, Vol. 45 Issue 5, p20
Examines how a unique partnership between the DEC, the Community College of the Finger Lakes, and Ontario County planners worked together to develop and execute a three-year management plan for New York's Honeoye Lake. Nutrient enrichment; Submersed plant communities; Transect studies;...