'A Place on the Ballot': Fusion Politics and Antifusion Laws
- 'A Place on the Ballot': Fusion Politics and Antifusion Laws. Argersinger, Peter H. // American Historical Review;Apr80, Vol. 85 Issue 2, p287
Studies the effects of antifusion laws on the political behavior and the electoral system of the U.S. in the nineteenth century. Adjustment of ballot systems in the presidential campaign; Impact of antifusion laws on voting behavior and fusion politics during the 1896 presidential elections;...
- The invention of the ethnocultural interpretation. Formisano, Ronald P. // American Historical Review;Apr94, Vol. 99 Issue 2, p453
Discusses the influence of political history in creating the ethnocultural interpretation of political parties and voting in nineteenth-century United States. Lee Benson's book `The Concept of Jacksonian Democracy: New York as a Test Case'; Richard L. McCormick's `Ethno-Cultural Interpretations...
- TWO PILLARS OF THE UNION. Whitman, Sylvia // Cobblestone;Jan2002, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p34
Profiles Henry Clay and Daniel Webster, 19th century statesmen from the United States.
- Book reviews. Crofts, Daniel W. // Journal of the Early Republic;Fall93, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p437
Reviews the book `Political Parties and American Political Development from the Age of Jackson to the Age of Lincoln' by Michael F. Holt.
- Book reviews: Social sciences. Parker, S.E. // Library Journal;6/1/1992, Vol. 117 Issue 10, p145
Reviews the book `Political Parties and American Political Development from the Age of Jackson to the Age of Lincoln,` by Michael F. Holt.
- Coxey's program, 1894--2. Good Roads Bill. // Coxey's Program, 1894--2 Good Roads Bill;2009, p51
Presents the text of proposals made by Massillon, Ohio businessman/farmer Jacob S. Coxey in the 1890s for public relief, focusing on roads appropriations. Duty of the Secretary of War take charge of the construction of the General County Road System in the United States; Compensation of the...
- Knights of Labor constitution of 1878. // Knights of Labor Constitution of 1878;2009, p1
Presents the 1878 constitution of the United States labor organization Knights of Labor. Purpose of the Knights; Political referendums suggested for the benefit of labor; Views on ownership and use of land; Membership qualifications in the Knights; Other comments.
- PEACE EFFORTS. Green, Michael // Cobblestone;Oct2011, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p4
The article discusses compromise efforts by Republicans and Democrats in both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives around 1860 regarding slavery, including the U.S. Senate's Committee of Thirteen, the Crittenden Compromise, and a peace conference called the Old Gentleman's Convention.
- Pioneer settlers' abuse of land laws in the nineteenth century: The case of the Boise River... Valentine, Rodney J. // Agricultural History;Summer93, Vol. 67 Issue 3, p47
Attempts to disprove the pioneer settlers' abuse of land laws in the nineteenth century, citing the case of the Boise River Valley in Idaho. Deficiencies in federal land policies; Pattern of land distribution; Sturdy of the literature devoted to land settlement; Pioneer settlers' behavior;...