'A Place on the Ballot': Fusion Politics and Antifusion Laws
- The invention of the ethnocultural interpretation. Formisano, Ronald P. // American Historical Review;Apr94, Vol. 99 Issue 2, p453
Discusses the influence of political history in creating the ethnocultural interpretation of political parties and voting in nineteenth-century United States. Lee Benson's book `The Concept of Jacksonian Democracy: New York as a Test Case'; Richard L. McCormick's `Ethno-Cultural Interpretations...
- TWO PILLARS OF THE UNION. Whitman, Sylvia // Cobblestone;Jan2002, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p34
Profiles Henry Clay and Daniel Webster, 19th century statesmen from the United States.
- Book reviews. Crofts, Daniel W. // Journal of the Early Republic;Fall93, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p437
Reviews the book `Political Parties and American Political Development from the Age of Jackson to the Age of Lincoln' by Michael F. Holt.
- Book reviews: Social sciences. Parker, S.E. // Library Journal;6/1/1992, Vol. 117 Issue 10, p145
Reviews the book `Political Parties and American Political Development from the Age of Jackson to the Age of Lincoln,` by Michael F. Holt.
- Coxey's program, 1894--2. Good Roads Bill. // Coxey's Program, 1894--2 Good Roads Bill;2009, p51
Presents the text of proposals made by Massillon, Ohio businessman/farmer Jacob S. Coxey in the 1890s for public relief, focusing on roads appropriations. Duty of the Secretary of War take charge of the construction of the General County Road System in the United States; Compensation of the...
- Knights of Labor constitution of 1878. // Knights of Labor Constitution of 1878;2009, p1
Presents the 1878 constitution of the United States labor organization Knights of Labor. Purpose of the Knights; Political referendums suggested for the benefit of labor; Views on ownership and use of land; Membership qualifications in the Knights; Other comments.
- PEACE EFFORTS. Green, Michael // Cobblestone;Oct2011, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p4
The article discusses compromise efforts by Republicans and Democrats in both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives around 1860 regarding slavery, including the U.S. Senate's Committee of Thirteen, the Crittenden Compromise, and a peace conference called the Old Gentleman's Convention.
- POLITICAL REALIGNMENT AND 'ETHNOCULTURAL' VOTING IN LATE NINETEENTH CENTURY AMERICA. Lichtman, Allan J. // Journal of Social History;Spring83, Vol. 16 Issue 3
Focuses on the use of realignment theory and ethnocultural voting to analyze the American politics in the late nineteenth century. Stability of party and voter coalitions; Relationship between political behavior and social conflict; Details of the 1896 presidential election.
- Beyond the Civil War Synthesis (Book Review). Durden, Robert F. // American Historical Review;Oct76, Vol. 81 Issue 4, p978
Reviews the book 'Beyond the Civil War Synthesis: Political Essays of the Civil War Era,' edited by Robert P. Swierenga.