Teaching and Learning About Cultural Diversity
- Preparing Urban Teachers For Schools and Communities: An Anti-Racist Perspective. Kailin, Julie // High School Journal;Dec98/Jan99, Vol. 82 Issue 2, p80
Presents information on a study which argued on the need to incorporate an anti-racist perspective in teacher education. Inclusion of multiculturalism in the dominant curriculum in higher education; Historical context of racism from an anti-racist perspective; Possibilities for non-racist and...
- Pre-service teacher resistance to diversity: Need to reconsider instructional methodologies. Nel, Johanna // Journal of Instructional Psychology;Mar92, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p23
Focuses on preservice teachers' resistance to diversity in schools. Need to develop teachers' commitment to multicultural education; Teaching strategies to minimize resistance.
- Preservice Physical Educators' Attitudes Toward Cultural Pluralism: A Preliminary Analysis. Stanley, Linda S. // Journal of Teaching in Physical Education;Jan1997, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p241
Examines the attitude of physical education teachers on cultural pluralism. Levels of educational achievement in socioeconomic status groups; Factors accounting for the differential achievement levels of culturally diverse students; Key components in creating a successful learning environment.
- How to Improve Teacher Behavior in Multiethnic Classrooms. Barnes, Willie J. // Educational Leadership;Apr77, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p511
Discusses various ways to improve behavior of the teachers in multiethnic classrooms. Behavior of the teacher derived from the negative attitudes; Factors that can help improving the behavior of the teacher in the classrooms; Development of a model which can help the teachers judge their own...
- 2- Year Colleges Prepare Minorities For Teaching in Inner-City Schools. Bradley, Ann // Education Week;3/14/1990, Vol. 9 Issue 25, p1
The article reports on the development of the Urban Teacher Program at Wayne County Community College in Detroit, Michigan. The program is designed to recruit teachers from minority groups through partnerships between four-year institutions and community colleges. Unlike traditional...
- Knowledge production and transmission in a changing society: challenges facing law lectures in a distance education environment in South Africa. Scott, Susan // South African Journal of Higher Education;2006, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p731
In this article I highlight the challenges facing a law lecturer in a multicultural society in transformation where the student is being prepared to serve society in different occupational fields as a professional person. I indicate that the law itself cannot effect change. For this we need...
- Teachers' role in multicultural education: Setting the stage for preservice teachers. Irwin, Leslie H. // Contemporary Education;1997, Vol. 68 Issue 4, p217
Examines the role and attitude of teachers toward multicultural education in the United States. Clarification of the concept for preservice teachers; Teaching skills required to teach at diversified educational institutions; Purpose of multicultural education; Standards adopted by the National...
- Editors' Introduction. Ambrosio, Anthony L.; Simpson, Douglas J. // Journal of Thought;Fall2005, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p3
Introduces a series of articles about multicultural and diversity learning outcome assessment and assessment plans in teacher education.
- From Heads to Hearts: Digital Stories as Relection Artifacts of Teachers' International Experience. Walters, Lynne M.; Green, Martha R.; Wang, Liangyan; Walters, Timothy // Issues in Teacher Education;Fall2011, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p37
The article discusses a teacher education program to develop intercultural competence held in China in which U.S. teacher participants were asked to keep a journal of their experiences and to create a digital story on a significant event. It was concluded that the journal recorded activities...