Consumers take a laid back approach
- LAID BACK ATTITUDE. Matlack, Jennifer // Garden Design;Feb/Mar2000, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p17
The article describes the structural design of lawn chairs designed by Brown Jordan International Inc. Company director Richard Frinier is proud to announce that this set of chairs are of high quality and comfort. Its tubing may seem solid but they have a remarkable characteristic of airiness...
- DESIGN FOR ERGONOMICS: CHAIR DESIGN FOR AGEING EMPLOYEES. Horváth, Péter György; Kovács, Zsolt // Proceedings of the European Conference on Ergonomics;2010, p298
Customer needs relating to pieces of furniture touch upon ergonomics. Needs are special when elderly people are concerned. At the same time, these needs are expressed in the "language of the customer". Designers are facing the challenge of answering questions about what a piece of furniture has...
- A traveling rocker. Stuart, R.P. // Outdoor Life;Jan89, Vol. 183 Issue 1, p63
Directions for building a portable rocking chair that's easy to construct and comfortable to sit in.
- Rocking in the Adirondacks. Clauss, T. // Outdoor Life;May90, Vol. 185 Issue 5, p48
Offers instructions for building an Adirondack rocking chair, a style that was popular throughout America in the 1950s.
- The Maine tramp chair. // Yankee;Apr95, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p144
Features the Maine tramp chair, a device designed by Baker a deputy sheriff of Somerset County, Maine, for tramps. Design of the chair; Report of disqualification of the chair and sending to the Bangor exhibition; Interest of French police department in the chair.
- Bringing the woods indoors. Ruoff, Abby // Country Journal;Jul/Aug96, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p66
Gives directions for making a twig loveseat. Materials needed; Cutting the branches; Laying out the sub-assembly; Assembling the arched back; Attaching the seat; Wrapping the top; Bracing and completing; Finishing; Finding the wood; How to choose and gather twigs.
- Oak duet. Caswell, C. // Popular Mechanics;Feb88, Vol. 165 Issue 2, p80
The common chair is such a simple structure that it's often called on to help with a variety of household chores. A design that combines the requirements of both chair and stepstool in a neat package that's not much more complicated to build than either separate piece. Also, directions for a...
- How to fix a loose spindle chair. Klenck, T. // Popular Mechanics;Jan89, Vol. 166 Issue 1, p105
Step-by-step instructions to repair traditional spindle chairs. Usual stresses of years of hard use; Disassembly and regluing; The alternative of Chair-Loc.
- Easy does it. Capotosto, R. // Popular Mechanics;Jan89, Vol. 166 Issue 1, p80
Step- by-step instructions for building a cozy armchair in easy-to-work pine, with soft cushions and an adjustable back.