Cold Hard Cache: The Arctic Drilling Controversy
- Under pressure, in the dark and all at sea. McKenna, Phil // New Scientist;5/15/2010, Vol. 206 Issue 2760, p20
The article examines how accidents during deep-water drilling operations, such as the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil disaster, can be prevented. An overview of the Deepwater Horizon drilling accident is presented which includes a discussion regarding what preventative measures could have been taken to...
- OFF THE DEEP END IN BRAZIL. Margolis, Mac // Newsweek;6/21/2010, Vol. 155 Issue 25, p4
The article describes how countries like Brazil are beginning to engage in more deepwater offshore oil drilling despite the environmental concerns raised by the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Simple blow-out preventer cuts and seals oil-well drill pipe. // Machine Design;10/6/2011, Vol. 83 Issue 17, p16
The article reports that inventor Karl Payne has created a measured explosive charge system to replace the hydraulic system of hoses that failed to prevent the Macondo oil well explosion in 2010.
- HIT OR MISS? // PRWeek (London);5/7/2010, p2
A photograph of efforts to clean the oil spill caused by an explosion on a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico in May 2010 is presented.
- A GUMBO OF CATASTROPHIC EFFECTS -- THE EFFECTS OF THE BP OIL SPILL MEASURED DURING THE OIL SPILL AND SIX MONTHS AFTER THE OIL SPILL ON THREE TOWNS IN SOUTH LOUISIANA. Alijani, Ghasem S.; Mancuso, Louis C.; Omar, Adnan; Ordogne, Natashia G. // Entrepreneurial Executive;2012, Vol. 17, p1
In April 2010, the BP licensed Transocean drilling rig Deep water Horizon sank in the Gulf of Mexico claiming eleven lives and sending over 200 million gallons of oil into the water. This historic environmental disaster was the worst oil spill in U.S. history having wide-ranging economic...
- 100 Energy Servants. Mosko, Sarah (Steve) // Our Planet: Weekly Newsletter of E Magazine;10/31/2010, p1
The article discusses the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, which launched the worst oil spill in history of the U.S. It states that Gulf region's fishing and tourism industries might never recover. It further states that energy-intense American lifestyle and...
- Deepwater Horizon trial begins in New Orleans. // TCE: The Chemical Engineer;Apr2013, Issue 862, p8
The article reports that the civil trial of BP, Transocean and Halliburton over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon rig disaster has started in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Deepwater Horizon. Cook, Nick // RoSPA Occupational Safety & Health Journal;Dec2010, Vol. 40 Issue 12, p13
The article discusses the facts of the devastating incident on the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico. It details the accident that was triggered by two explosions and ripped the platform into flames, sank the rig, and gushed oil into the ocean. It adds that Transocean Inc....
- Accidents will happen. Woodard, Don // Fort Worth Business Press;5/24/2010, Vol. 22 Issue 21, p31
A letter to the editor is presented about an accident that happened at the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico.