HR column The missing link
- Legal Q&A Bad weather. Laurie, Mandy // Personnel Today;1/17/2006, p44
The article discusses various legal issue related to employee absence because of adverse weather conditions in question and answer format. Employees are obliged to attend work in terms of their contracts of employment. An employer would be within his rights to refuse to pay an employee who...
- MISSOURI DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORATION. Schoeff Jr., Mark // Workforce Management;12/14/2009, Vol. 88 Issue 13, p22
The article reports on the Missouri Department of Transportation which has won the 2009 Optimas Award for Service. The state got a boost on spending on roads but it was to meet the goal without increasing the workforce of about 6300. Micki Knudsen, HR director, says the state transportation...
- Absent friends. Port, Ruth // Commercial Motor;11/6/2003, Vol. 198 Issue 5053, p36
Focuses on dealing with absenteeism in the British haulage industry. Ways to communicate with an employee who is on long-term sick leave; Rights given by the Medical Reports Act to workers; Factors considered before disciplining or dismissing workers for reasons of sickness.
- Total Absence Management: Practical Solutions to Prevent and Minimize Employee Absence. Ritter, Anne // Employee Benefits Journal;Dec2000, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p3
Discusses total absence management. Benefits; Components; Correlation between absence, employee turnover and productivity.
- Time is money. // Personnel Today;7/9/2002, p26
Focuses on implications of improving the personnel management for company expenditures. Importance of assigning absence management to human resource and line managers; Prioritization of productivity for improvement of employees performance; Significance of strategic analytics to solve...
- Benchmarker 2002. // Personnel Today;7/9/2002, p51
Provides information related to personnel management. Variation of absenteeism level among employees; Expenditures on agency recruitment; Survey on the effectiveness of human resource.
- Strong return-to-work culture can cut costs of absenteeism. Carroll, Pam // Employee Benefit News;Oct2000, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p16
Reports on the impact of employee absenteeism on companies. Range of the total cost of absenteeism on the company's payroll; Things employers can do to promote a return-to-work culture; Insurance carrier considerations for building a return-to-work culture.
- How to deal with continuing absenteeism. // New Zealand Management;Aug2000, Vol. 47 Issue 7, p12
Offers tips for managers on the management of employee absenteeism. Focus on interdependence; Detection of warning signs of absenteeism; Practice of post-absence interviews; Support for legitimate personal problems.
- Limit unexcused absences. // Communication Briefings;Jan2014, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p6
The article offers tips in limiting unexcused absences by agreeing with the employees to make up the missed time or working on overtime.