What about Privatizing Social Security?
- Social Security privatization raises many issues. Scott, Andrew // Fairfield County Business Journal;1/24/2005, Vol. 44 Issue 4, p21
Reports that U.S. President George W. Bush plans to partly privatize Social Security. Reactions of Zachary Weinberger, president of Total HR Services LLC, to Bush's Social Security privatization plans; Benefits of financial services companies from the privatization of Social Security.
- Change of control and the success of China's share-issue privatization. ROUSSEAU, Peter L.; XIAO, Sheng // China Economic Review (1043951X);Dec2008, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p605
Abstract: Using two newly available datasets of exchange-listed firms in China covering the period from 1994 to 2003, we test if share-issue privatization, defined here as a change of corporate control from the State to private owners rather than the IPO event used in earlier studies, improved...
- From Animals to Airplanes: Privatization in Mongolia. // Foreign Affairs;May/Jun2005, Vol. 84 Issue 3, Following p62
Mongolia's evolution from singly party rule towards an open market has been largely driven by an ambitious program of privatization. How the privatization program is not just about raising capital.
- Privatization is not the Key to Successful Transition. Spechler, Martin C. // Challenge (05775132);Jan/Feb96, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p48
This article argues that privatization of state-owned industries in Eastern Europe and Russia may not be the solution for development in the region. Since the fall of communism, most Western economists and international agencies have advised East and Central European countries to privatize their...
- PRIVATIZACIJA, DRÅ½AVNO VLASNIÅ TVO I POSLOVNI REZULTAT PODUZEÄ†A. Crnković, Boris; Požega, Željko; Briševac, Jelena // Ekonomski Vjesnik;2010, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p333
The standpoints on state ownership on the one hand and private ownership on the other changed frequently in the past. Nevertheless, the strengthening of the role of a state in economy â€“ brought about by the big economic crisis in the late 1920s and 1930s and continuing after the Second...
- THE LATIN WAY TO BOOST SAVINGS. Woods, Wilton // Fortune;11/1/1993, Vol. 128 Issue 11, p26
Suggests radical measures to the U.S. to raise savings and improve the social security systems. Information on the privatization policy of the Latin American social security systems; Nature of the privatization policy; Reference to the Chilean savings funds; News of Argentina readying herself...
- An FDI Magnet. // Africa Monitor: North Africa Monitor;Dec2004, Vol. 9 Issue 12, p2
The article presents a report on privatization in Africa. Privatisation receipts have disappointed this year, but this is not a signal that Rabat is reluctant to liberalise the economy. Rather, the Kingdom has long been one of the most open economies in North Africa. Indeed, according to UN's...
- THE NORTHERN TRIANGLE OF CENTRAL AMERICA. // Electricity Deregulation Report Global;2004, Issue 3, p165
Looks at the status of the energy industry in the Northern Triangle of Central America as of January 2004. Countries included in the region; Factors that affect privatisation of energy assets in Costa Rica; Components of the General Electricity Law of 1996 in El Salvador.
- On the Russian Privatization Debate. Ellerman, David // Challenge (05775132);May/Jun2003, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p6
Focuses on the debate about the results of privatization of state-owned industries in Russia. Strategies for institutional change; Argument in terms of de facto property rights; Alternatives to voucher privatization.