Minimum Wage Bill Accrues Tax Breaks, Pension Reform
- SALEM. // Oregon Business Magazine;Sep2005, Vol. 28 Issue 9, p15
Reports that Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski is expected to reject a bill designed to cover minimum-wage increases in farm operations through a tax break. Provisions of the bill; Reasons why Democratic Party legislators dropped their initial support for the bill.
- Minimum wage making inroads in Albany, but who benefits? JOHNSON, STEPHON // New York Amsterdam News;3/28/2013, Vol. 104 Issue 13, p3
The article reports that a legislative bill on minimum wage increase approved by the New York State Assembly in March 2013 has not yet been officially passed into law by the New York State Senate.
- Tax relief softens wage increase. Murtha, Kerry // Crain's New York Business;1/21/2008, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p19
The article reports that the U.S. federal government gave the lowest-paid Americans their first pay hike in nearly a decade, agreeing to raise the minimum wage to $7.25 from $5.15 over a two-year period. To soften the blow to small businesses, which employ many of those workers, the Congress...
- Labor's Love Lost. Kavanaugh, John F. // America;8/28/2006, Vol. 195 Issue 5, p9
This article presents insights on a bill passed by the U.S. House of Representatives that would raise the minimum wage, with no provision for future inflation. Republicans made sure that wages of tipped workers will be reduced or frozen. The wage increase was linked to a tax break for wealthy...
- Two new California laws will cost employers in two ways. McInerney, Thomas; Cheng, Gregory C. // HR Specialist: California Employment Law;Nov2013, Vol. 7 Issue 11, p6
The article discusses the impact of the two new laws to the employers in California such as the wage-related lawsuits and the increase of minimum wage. It examines the increase of minimum wage per hour or it depends on the value of the state minimum wage. It also notes that the employers should...
- RETIREMENT: Axe for compensation relief. // Design Week (Online Edition);6/9/2011, p32
The article offers information on Government's proposal to scrap tax relief for compensation payments on pension misselling. It further informs that the reform could present problems for advisers who have guaranteed to review a compensation application when a client reaches retirement. According...
- Why minimum wage hikes may not reduce employment. Zavodny, Madeline // Economic Review (07321813);1998 2nd Quarter, Vol. 83 Issue 2, p18
Presents information on several studies that have influenced the debate on whether to raise the minimum wage in the United States. Details on the findings of several studies; Basic competitive model; Alternative models.
- Forum speaks out on late payments and the minimum wage increase. // Heating & Ventilating Review;May2013, Vol. 52 Issue 7, p8
The article reports on a Parliamentary inquiry on late payments and minimum wage increase in Great Britain, with business support and lobby group the Forum of Private Business giving evidence about the issues.
- Payday loan cap, minimum wage fight for Nov. ballot spots moves into challenge phase. Finkelstein, Ed // Southern Illinois Labor Tribune;8/16/2012, Vol. 76 Issue 2, p1
The article reports on the issue concerning the state-wide campaign calling for November 2012 ballot on minimum wage increases in Illinois.