WHEN IS IT APPROPRIATE TO USE A LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY?
- Making an LLC your entity choice. SPAFFORD, KEVIN // Wisconsin Agriculturist;Jan2016, Vol. 247 Issue 1, p24
The article provides an answer to a question on how to establish a limited liability company (LLC) for a family business.
- Tax and transparency. Mabey, Simon // Accountancy;Mar2001, Vol. 127 Issue 1291, p122
In an increasingly contentious and litigious society, the offer of a partnership with unlimited personal liability for the firm's debts is nowadays not always the attraction it might once have been to an aspiring professional. Several jurisdictions have evolved forms of partnership that seek to...
- All in the Family. Orr, Deborah; Brown, Heidi; Huang, Patricia; Kitchens, Susan; Thies, Julia; von Zeppelin, Cristina // Forbes Global;11/24/2003, Vol. 6 Issue 22, p96
Features several family-managed private companies in and outside of the U.S. Factors that contributed to the bankruptcy of AndrÃ© & Cie; Examples of private companies being managed by sons of founders; Population issues facing family businesses.
- BRING BACK THE EXEMPT PRIVATE COMPANY. Miles, Keith // Accountancy;Nov89, Vol. 104 Issue 1155, p24
This article emphasizes the need for the reintroduction of the exempt private company (EPC), a category of company established in the 1948 Companies Act of Great Britain. The EPC was established to avoid placing burdens on private businesses which were not different from sole traders or...
- Who owns the business? HAZLEHURST, JEREMY; TORRANCE, JACK // Management Today;Sep2015, Issue 6, p26
The article discusses different types of business ownership choose the right model for investors. Overview of 10 companies with different structures such as limited liability partnership, family-owned, and private limited company, as well as their advantages and disadvantages, is discussed....
- Family Limited Partnerships and Family Limited Liability Companies. Gobeille, Mark // Journal of Retirement Planning;Mar2010, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p31
Mark Gobeille sets out action steps that should be considered to prevent or defeat possible IRS attack on valuation discounts claimed with respect to assets held in Family Limited Partnerships.
- Substitute Structure for Discount Family Limited Partnership. Shoemaker, David B. // Journal of Financial Planning;Apr2000, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p100
Despite the recent popularity of discount family limited partnerships, they have a downside and are not appropriate for every client. A guarantee structure may be a feasible substitute in some cases. This article discusses a situation in which a guarantee structure is the better choice over a...
- CORPORATIONS THAT WEREN'T: THE TAXATION OF FIRM PROFITS IN HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE. Winchester, Richard // Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal;2010, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p501
The article presents information on the income tax system of the U.S. and the rules for taxing business enterprises earning profits. In the default set of rules, owners of the firm pay tax based on their shares in the profits and in the other set of rules, the enterprises must pay tax on the...
- Legacy and Logistics at Goya Foods. Drake, Diana // njbiz;4/21/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 17, Special section p1
The article presents information on the Goya Foods company owned by the Unanue family. It is said that the company is one of the largest privately-held Hispanic-owned company in the U.S. An overview of the conflict between cousins Robert and Andrew Unanue is given. In 2003, the company has...