Comparing sexual risks and patterns of alcohol and drug use between injection drug users (IDUs) and non-IDUs who report sexual partnerships with IDUs in St. Petersburg, Russia
- Alcohol abuse and stage of HIV disease in intravenous drug abusers. Lake-Bakaar, Gerond; Grimson, Roger // Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine;Jul1996, Vol. 89 Issue 7, p389
Our objective was to identify factors that might correlate with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) disease stage in intravenous drug abusers (IVDA). Particular attention was given to alcohol abuse. We accordingly explored in a cross-sectional study the relation between stage of HIV disease and...
- Modeling the spread of HIV. Salzberg, Allan M.; Dolins, Stanley L.; Salzberg, Carol A.; Salzberg, A M; Dolins, S L; Salzberg, C A // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;9/8/89, Vol. 262 Issue 10, p1329
Comments on the article 'HIV-1 Infection Among Intravenous Drug Users in Manhattan, New York City From 1977 through 1987,' by Des Jarlais et al, as presented in a 1989 issue of the 'Journal of the American Medical Association.'
- In Reply. Des Jarlais, Don C.; Friedman, Samuel R. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;9/8/89, Vol. 262 Issue 10, p1330
Presents the author's reply to comments on his article on HIV exposure among intravenous drug users in Manhattan, New York City.
- HIV KNOWLEDGE AND ATTITUDES AMONG INTRAVENOUS DRUG USERS: COMPARISONS TO THE U.S. POPULATION AND BY DRUG USE BEHAVIORS. Celentano, David D.; Vlahov, David; Menon, A. S.; Polk, B. Frank // Journal of Drug Issues;Summer91, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p635
As part of the baseline survey of a prospective study of the natural history of HIV-1 infection among intravenous (IV) drug users, 1,580 current and former IV drug users (IVDUs) were interviewed about their knowledge of AIDS, acquisition and prevention of HIV-1 infection, and risk behaviors....
- Transmission of HIV from injecting drug users to their wives in India. Panda, S.; Chatterjee, A.; Bhattacharya, S. K.; Manna, B.; Singh, P. N.; Sarkar, S.; Naik, T. N.; Chakrabarti, S.; Detels, R. // International Journal of STD & AIDS;Jul2000, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p468
We aimed to identify factors associated with transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) from injecting drug users (IDUs) to their wives in Manipur, northeast India, where the prevalence of HIV among IDUs is 80% via a case-control study. One hundred and sixty-one HIV-infected IDUs and...
- Requiring Help Injecting as a Risk Factor for HIV Infection in the Vancouver Epidemic. Wood, Evan; Spittal, Patricia M.; Kerr, Thomas; Small, Will; Tyndall, Mark W.; O'Shaughnessy, Michael V.; Schechter, Martin T. // Canadian Journal of Public Health;Sep/Oct2003, Vol. 94 Issue 5, p355
Background: Requiring help injecting was recently associated with syringe sharing, and later HIV-1 and HCV seroconversion among injection drug users (IDU) in Vancouver. This risk factor remains poorly understood. The present study investigates this risk factor among Vancouver IDUs. Methods: We...
- HIV outbreak among injecting drug users in the Helsinki region: social and geographical pockets. Kivelä, Pia; Krol, Anneke; Simola, Susan; Vaattovaara, Mari; Tuomola, Pekka; Brummer-Korvenkontio, Henrikki; Ristola, Matti // European Journal of Public Health;Aug2007, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p381
Background: Incidence of newly diagnosed HIV infections among injecting drug users (IDUs) in Helsinki rose from 0 per 100000 inhabitants in 1997 to 2.9 in 1998 and to 11.1 in 1999. Thereafter incidence declined to 2.1 in 2003. Methods: Data were collected from interviews with HIV-positive IDUs...
- Comorbidities among HIV-infected injection drug users in Chennai, India. Solomon, S. S.; Hawcroft, C. S.; Narasimhan, P.; Subbaraman, R.; Srikrishnan, A. K.; Cecelia, A. J.; Kumar, M. Suresh; Solomon, Suniti; Gallant, J. E.; Celentano, D. D. // Indian Journal of Medical Research;May2008, Vol. 127 Issue 5, p447
Background & objectives: HIV-infected injection drugs users (IDUs) are known to have high rates of co-infections. A few reports exist on comorbidities among HIV-infected IDUs in India. We carried out a retrospective study to analyse data on comorbidities in India and treatment challenges faced...
- Retrospective cohort study examining incidence of HIV and hepatitis C infection among injecting drug users in Dublin. Smyth, B.P.; O'Connor, J.J.; Barry, J.; Keenan, E. // Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health;Apr2003, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p310
Analyzes a study of the cases of HIV and hepatitis C infections among intravenous drug abusers in Dublin, Ireland. Risk increase associated with drug addicts who share needles; Seroconversion rates.