Legionella spp. and legionellosis in southeastern Italy: disease epidemiology and environmental surveillance in community and health care facilities
- Pathology of Legionnaires' Disease. Carrington, Charles B. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Apr79, Vol. 90 Issue 4, p496
Discusses the clinical manifestations of Legionnaires' disease (LD). Acute lesion in LD pneumonia; LD staining characteristics; Result of the microscopic analysis of LD specimen.
- Legionella species colonization of water distribution systems, pools and air conditioning systems in cruise ships and ferries. Goutziana, Georgia; Mouchtouri, Varvara A.; Karanika, Maria; Kavagias, Antonios; Stathakis, Nikolaos E.; Gourgoulianis, Kostantinos; Kremastinou, Jenny; Hadjichristodoulou, Christos // BMC Public Health;2008, Vol. 8, p390
Background: Legionnaires' disease continues to be a public health concern in passenger ships. This study was scheduled in order to investigate Legionella spp. colonization of water distribution systems (WDS), recreational pools, and air-conditioning systems on board ferries and cruise ships in...
- Our Evolving Understanding of Legionellosis Epidemiology: Learning to Count. Ng, Victoria; Tang, Patrick; Fisman, David N. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;9/1/2008, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p600
The article presents an editorial commentary on the paper "Increasing incidence of legionellosis in the United States, 1990-2005: changing epidemiologic trends," by K. Neil and R. Berkelman. According to the authors, the paper provides a succinct and thought-provoking summary of recent trends in...
- Seeking patterns, hope in illness' variables. // National Catholic Reporter;11/10/2000, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p18
Recounts experiences in dealing with infectious diseases. Struggle of a patient with a respiratory ailment; Difficulty in dealing with Legionnaires' disease.
- Legionnaires' Disease in South Africa, 2012-2014. Wolter, Nicole; Carrim, Maimuna; Cohen, Cheryl; Tempia, Stefano; Walaza, Sibongile; Sahr, Philip; de Gouveia, Linda; Treurnicht, Florette; Hellferscee, Orienka; Cohen, Adam L.; Benitez, Alvaro J.; Dawood, Halima; Variava, Ebrahim; Winchell, Jonas M.; von Gottberg, Anne // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Jan2016, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p131
During June 2012-September 2014, we tested patients with severe respiratory illness for Legionella spp. infection and conducted a retrospective epidemiologic investigation. Of 1,805 patients tested, Legionella was detected in samples of 21 (1.2%); most were adults who had HIV or tuberculosis...
- Outbreak of legionnaires' disease from a cooling water system in a power station Morton, S.; Bartlett, C. L. R.; Bibby, L. F.; Dennis, P. J.; Dyer, J. V.; Hutchinson, D. N. // British Journal of Industrial Medicine;Sep1986, Vol. 43 Issue 9, p630
No abstract available.
- Increasing Incidence of Legionellosis in the United States, 1990-2005: Changing Epidemiologic Trends. Neil, Karen; Berkelman, Ruth // Clinical Infectious Diseases;9/1/2008, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p591
Background. An abrupt increase in the incidence of legionellosis in the United States has been noted since 2003. Whether the recent increase is associated with shifting epidemiologic trends has not been well characterized. Methods. We analyzed all cases of legionellosis reported to the Centers...
- MORBIDITY PROFILE OF OUT-PATIENTS ATTENDING A PRIMARY HEALTH CENTRE IN RURAL PUDUCHERRY, SOUTH INDIA. Gupta, Arti; Chellaiyan, Vinoth; Lohiya, Ayush; Rizwan, S. A.; Upadhyay, Ravi P.; Palanivel, C. // National Journal of Community Medicine;Oct-Dec2014, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p424
Background: Knowledge on distribution and burden of diseases in a community is essential for planning of public health services. In the absence of information on morbidity profile through community based surveys, facility based data provide a good alternative. The aim of this study was to...
- Health in Urban Places report released by CIHI. // Active Living;Mar2007, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p8
The article focuses on the report "Improving the Health of Canadians: An introduction to health in urban places," released by the Canadian Institute for Health Information. The report, which used census data and information from the Canadian Community Health Survey, explores differences in the...