Sequencing of 6.7 Mb of the melon genome using a BAC pooling strategy
- Development of a genomic library of near isogenic lines (NILs) in melon ( Cucumis melo L.) from the exotic accession PI161375. Eduardo, Iban; Arús, Pere; Monforte, Antonio // Theoretical & Applied Genetics;Dec2005, Vol. 112 Issue 1, p139
A doubled haploid line (DHL) population of melon derived from a cross between the Korean cultivar â€œSongwhan Charmiâ€ accession PI161375 (SC), included in the horticultural group conomon, and the Spanish cultivar â€œPiel de Sapoâ€ (PS), included in the horticultural group...
- Inheritance of resistance to systemic symptom expression of Melon necrotic spot virus (MNSV) in Cucumis melo L. `Doublon'. Mallor Giménez, Cristina; María Álvarez Álvarez, José; Luis Arteaga, Marisol // Euphytica;Dec2003, Vol. 134 Issue 3, p319
In melon (Cucumis melo L.) a resistance mechanism to Melon necrotic spot virus (MNSV) controlled by a single recessive gene called nsv has been reported. We found that following mechanical inoculation of the virus C. melo cv. `Doublon' shows only local reaction, but it does not develop any...
- Detection of QTL for yield-related traits using recombinant inbred lines derived from exotic and elite US Western Shipping melon germplasm. Zalapa, J. E.; Staub, J. E.; McCreight, J. D.; Chung, S. M.; Cuevas, H. // Theoretical & Applied Genetics;May2007, Vol. 114 Issue 7, p1185
The inheritance of yield-related traits in melon ( Cucumis melo L.; 2 n = 2 x = 24) is poorly understood, and the mapping of quantitative trait loci (QTL) for such traits has not been reported. Therefore, a set of 81 recombinant inbred lines (RIL) was developed from a cross between the...
- LONGER LIFE FOR 'LOPES.'. // Organic Gardening (08973792);Jun88, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p26
Focuses on the cold-storage method for cantaloupe.
- Cantaloupe raising tip. Rhodes, Neil A. // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;May/Jun2001, Vol. 85 Issue 3, p30
Suggests tips on how to grow cantaloupes.
- Construction of a reference linkage map for melon. Oliver, M; Garcia-Mas, J; Cardús, M; Pueyo, N; López-Sesé, A I; Arroyo, M; Gómez-Paniagua, H; Arús, P; Vicente, M C de // Genome;Oct2001, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p836
A map of melon (Cucumis melo L.) with 411 markers (234 RFLPs, 94 AFLPs, 47 RAPDs, 29 SSRs, five inter-SSRs, and two isozymes) and one morphological trait (carpel number) was constructed using the F[sub 2] progeny of a cross between the Korean accession PI161375 and the Spanish melon type...
- Arizona Veg IPM Update: whitefly on melons, disease resistance, herbicide volatility. // Western Farm Press Exclusive Insight;4/23/2013, p7
The article features the latest Arizona Vegetable Integrated Pest Management Update from the University of Arizona (UA) Cooperative Extension in Yuma, Arizona, released on April 17, 2013. It reports on the need to manage whitefly nymphs on spring melons with reports of whitefly adults on...
- Genetics of ethylene biosynthesis and restriction fragment length polymorphisms (RFLPs) of ACC oxidase and synthase genes in melon (Cucumis melo L.). Zheng, X.Y.; Wolff, D.W.; Crosby, K.M. // Theoretical & Applied Genetics;Aug2002, Vol. 105 Issue 2/3, p397
We investigated the genetics of ethylene biosynthesis and its linkage to the RFLPs of the ACC oxidase and synthase genes in melon (Cucumis melo L.). The results suggested that the A0 and B0 fragments of RFLP-MEL1 of the ACC oxidase gene were two alleles from a single locus, as were the B and C...
- The Inside Scoop. // O, The Oprah Magazine;Jul2007, Vol. 8 Issue 7, p218
Several recipes for melons are presented, including the Chilled Melon, Cucumber and Coconut Milk Soup, the Spiky Skewered Shrimp with Grilled Watermelon, and the Cantaloupe and Citrus Pops.