WHAT MONTREUX MEANS: CANADA AND THE NEW REGULATION OF THE INTERNATIONAL PRIVATE MILITARY AND SECURITY INDUSTRY
- Das GeschÃ¤ft mit der Sicherheit: die Arbeit von privaten Sicherheits- und MilitÃ¤rfirmen in Kriegs- und Nachkriegskontexten. Schneiker, Andrea // Swiss Journal of Sociology;2009, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p75
Since the beginning of the 1990s the number of private security and military firms (PSMFs) has grown rapidly. Today, PSMFs are no longer only force multipliers but charged with the provision of security in war and post-war situations. But contrary to public forces the work of PSMFs is driven by...
- From Dogs of War to Soldiers of Peace: Evaluating Private Military and Security Companies as a Civilian Protection Force. Wittels, Stephen // Journal of Military & Strategic Studies;Spring2010, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p130
The article presents an evaluation of private military and security agents and companies as civilian protection forces. It asserts that private military and security personnel are better able to protect civilians than the United Nations (UN) forces that are primarily tasked with the...
- Bridging Accountability Gaps--The Proliferation of Private Military and Security Companies and Ensuring Accountability for Human Rights Violations. Mehra, Amol // Pacific McGeorge Global Business & Development Law Journal;2010, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p323
The article focuses on the need for increased accountability in relation to the actions of private military and security companies (PMSCs) with respect to human rights. It states that the use of PMSCs complicate any means of accountability for human rights violations. It highlights the reality...
- Implications for the Horn of Africa. Farah, Ibrahim; Njeru, Jacqueline // Horn of Africa Bulletin;Apr2011, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p10
The article discusses the growth of the private security industry in Somalia. Foreign individuals or groups of individuals have been used for private reward by a state or non-state entity in response to the defeat and disintegration of national troops. According to the author, the presence of...
- Hrot kopÃ a ÄeskÃ© soukromÃ© vojenskÃ© a bezpeÄnostnÃ spoleÄnosti. Šmíd, Tomáš // Central European Political Studies Review / Stredoevropske Polit;Autumn2012, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p554
This article focuses on the phenomenon of privatization of security in the Czech Republic. The main goal is to sort selected private military and security companies from the Czech Republic along the categories provided by Peter W. Singer's "tip of spear" concept, as well as by Carlos Ortiz's...
- 19ä¸–ç´€æœ«ã‹ã‚‰20ä¸–ç´€åˆé ã®åŠ›ãƒŠãƒ€ã®æµ·é˜²ã¨ã‚¤ã‚®ãƒªã‚¹å¸å›½. Hosokawa Michihisa // Journal of Historical Studies / Rekishigaku Kenkyu;Jun2011, Issue 880, p46
This article deals with the development of Canadian maritime defence from the late 19th to early 20th centuries, not only in the light of Canadian attitudes towards the British imperial policy, but also in consideration of factors such as Canadaâ€™s relation not only with the British Empire...
- WHAT'S YOUR KNOWLEDGE WORTH? // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Aug2002, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p35
Calls on readers to send original ideas for performing field work in the areas of security, fire protection, video surveillance, access control or home systems. Information on how to submit ideas to 'Security Distributing and Marketing' magazine.
- Integration: Taking the plunge. Colombo // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Nov99, Vol. 36 Issue 11, p183
Focuses on the benefits of the integration of security systems in the United States. Provision of different security services; Maintenance of relationship with security service providers; Provision of security personnel and operations management with more information.
- ON THE Market. // Security: Solutions for Enterprise Security Leaders;Jun2001, Vol. 38 Issue 6, p46
Presents several security products and services. Datacard's ImageCard HiFX laminator; Wavetrend's Link-It system which replaces password, smartcard and biometric log-on systems to provide high speed and security user authentication.