What's New in Adult Reconstructive Knee Surgery
- The Role of Potentially Retrievable Inferior Vena Cava Filters in High-Risk Patients Undergoing Joint Arthroplasty. DHAND, SABEEN; STULBERG, S. DAVID; PURI, LALIT; KARP, JENNIFER; RYU, ROBERT K.; LEWANDOWSKI, ROBERT J. // Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research;Dec2015, Vol. 9 Issue 12, p1
Introduction: Some patients undergoing total joint arthroplasty are at increased risk for venous thromboembolism (VTE). The aim of the present study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of prIVCF in preventing PE in patients undergoing joint replacement surgery who are at high-risk for VTE....
- Rivaroxaban better than enoxaparin for post-surgical VTE. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;2/4/2012, Issue 646, p3
The article reports that rivaroxaban is cost saving and more effective than enoxaparin for preventing post-surgical venous thromboembolism (VTE), according to the findings of a study published in a 2012 issue of the journal "PharmacoEconomics."
- For-Profit: It All Adds Up. // Alberta Views;Nov2008, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p19
The article examines the profit earned by orthopedic surgeons. If one tenth of the 1,000 patients opt for a private service, paying $12,000 each to have their knees fixed, the cost for 1,000 surgeries becomes $1.8-million public plus $1.2-million private or $3-million. It is stated that each...
- Primary prevention of arterial thromboembolism in non-rheumatic atrial... Hellemons, B.S.P.; Langenberg, M. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/09/99, Vol. 319 Issue 7215, p958
Presents information on a study which investigated the effectiveness of aspirin and coumarin in preventing thromboembolism in patients with non-rheumatic atrial fibrillation in general practice. Research design and methodology; Results and discussion.
- Thromboprophylaxis with LMWH, warfarin, low-dose aspirin, safe in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. // Hem/Onc Today;1/10/2010, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p18
This article focuses on a study which investigated the efficacy and safety of thromboprophylaxis with low-molecular weight heparin, warfarin or low-dose aspirin in preventing venous thromboembolism in patients with multiple myeloma.
- Studies on the duration of antibiotic administration for... Scher, Kenneth S. // American Surgeon;Jan1997, Vol. 63 Issue 1, p59
Focuses on the three antibiotic regimes that are assigned to patients in the United States undergoing 801 elective, clean-contaminated operations. Time in which these antibiotics regimens results in similar infection rates; Examination of the two antibiotic regimens that were assigned to...
- 1 in 3 knee surgeries in the U.S. may be 'inappropriate'. Kim, Stephanie H. // McKnight's Long-Term Care News;Aug2014, Vol. 35 Issue 8, p6
The article discusses research by Daniel L. Riddle and colleagues from the Virginia Commonwealth University, published in the June 30, 2014 issue of the journal "Arthritis and Rheumatology," which found that about one-third of knee replacement surgeries in the U.S. may be regarded as inappropriate.
- Early functional outcome after subvastus or parapatellar approach in knee arthroplasty is comparable. van Hemert, Wouter L. W.; Senden, Rachel; Grimm, Bernd; van der Linde, Matthijs J. A.; Lataster, Arno; Heyligers, Ide C. // Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy;Jun2011, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p943
Purpose: In total knee arthroplasty, tissue-sparing techniques are considered more important, as functional gain could become more advantageous when early mobilization is commenced. The parapatellar approach is most often used, whereas the subvastus approach is a suitable alternative. Presently,...
- Tibial base design and patient morphology affecting tibial coverage and rotational alignment after total knee arthroplasty. Clary, Chadd; Aram, Luke; Deffenbaugh, Daren; Heldreth, Mark // Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy;Dec2014, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p3012
Purpose: To understand interactions between total knee arthroplasty tibial base design attributes, variations in tibial morphology, and the resulting tibial coverage and rotational alignment. Methods: Tibial anthropometric measurements, including aspect ratio (medial-lateral...