Daley: No Property Tax Hike, But Chicago May See Cuts in Services
- Daley seeking tax advocates' Holy Grail. Hinz, Greg // Crain's Chicago Business;07/17/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 30, p4
Reports on the efforts of Chicago, Illinois mayor Richard Daley to push for fundamental property tax reform. Concept of swapping income taxes for property taxes; Impact of the proposed swap on tax payers; Arguments for and against the tax swap.
- Tough talk alone won't win property tax reforms. // Crain's Chicago Business;07/17/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 30, p10
Reflects on the efforts of Chicago, Illinois mayor Richard Daley to address the problem of escalating property taxes. Daley's admission that he has no tax reform strategy to propose; Other efforts to end the state's overdependence on property taxes.
- After Criticism, Chicago's Daley to Revise Property Tax Increase. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;11/2/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32747, p6
The article reports on the planned revision of Chicago, Illinois Mayor Richard Daley's revenue raising proposals. The plan was made after the public, civic groups, and the City Council members criticized the proposed $108 million increase in property taxes. In turn Daley unveiled plans to hire...
- Chicago Mayor, Illinois Governer Discuss O'Hare, Gambling. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/8/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31631, p30
Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich and senior legislators, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley said legislation allowing the city to proceed with a 6.6 billion dollar expansion of O' Hare International Airport would be introduced on May 8, 2003 in the General Assembly. The state legislation would likely...
- Chicago Mayor Daley to Debut Budget After a Month's Delay. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;11/4/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32004, p40
Reports on Chicago, Illinois, Mayor Richard Daley's plans to unveil his proposed 2005 budget after a month of delay. Reasons for the delay; Plans of the city government to avoid a property tax increase and limit layoffs in the wake of rising employee costs and flat revenue growth.
- ILLINOIS: Daley Backs Capital Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/9/2008, Vol. 364 Issue 32853, p9
The article reports on the call of Chicago Mayor Richard Daley for the passage of a capital budget by the Illinois General Assembly and Governor Rod Blagojevich. The capital budget would reform property taxes, help aid homeowners, increase education spending and impose new gun-control...
- Homeowners' Burden. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/18/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31823, p33
Reports on the state of the city address of Chicago, Illinois Mayor Richard Daley, stating that lawmakers should limit annual property tax increases and reduce the state's reliance on taxes to fund education. Increase in homeowners' assessment; Criticism of Daley for failing to push any measures...
- Chicago Budget Seeks $280M in Tax Hikes. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;10/11/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32731, p4
The article reports on the move of Chicago, Illinois Mayor Richard Daley to unveil a proposed $5.94 billion budget for 2008 that relies on about $280 million in new and increased fees and taxes. It includes a record $108 million property tax increase, to close a $200 million deficit and cover...
- Chicago School Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;6/7/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32397, p45
The article reports on the allocation of 4.7 billion dollars' budget for fiscal 2007 by the Chicago Public Schools in Illinois. The funds depended on state aid, maximum property tax growth, and reduction of spending on school-based initiatives. Mayor Richard Daley approved the property tax...