Daley: No Property Tax Hike, But Chicago May See Cuts in Services
- Daley seeking tax advocates' Holy Grail. Hinz, Greg // Crain's Chicago Business;07/17/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 30, p4
Reports on the efforts of Chicago, Illinois mayor Richard Daley to push for fundamental property tax reform. Concept of swapping income taxes for property taxes; Impact of the proposed swap on tax payers; Arguments for and against the tax swap.
- Tough talk alone won't win property tax reforms. // Crain's Chicago Business;07/17/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 30, p10
Reflects on the efforts of Chicago, Illinois mayor Richard Daley to address the problem of escalating property taxes. Daley's admission that he has no tax reform strategy to propose; Other efforts to end the state's overdependence on property taxes.
- Chicago Mayor, Illinois Governer Discuss O'Hare, Gambling. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/8/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31631, p30
Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich and senior legislators, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley said legislation allowing the city to proceed with a 6.6 billion dollar expansion of O' Hare International Airport would be introduced on May 8, 2003 in the General Assembly. The state legislation would likely...
- Chicago Mayor Daley to Debut Budget After a Month's Delay. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;11/4/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32004, p40
Reports on Chicago, Illinois, Mayor Richard Daley's plans to unveil his proposed 2005 budget after a month of delay. Reasons for the delay; Plans of the city government to avoid a property tax increase and limit layoffs in the wake of rising employee costs and flat revenue growth.
- Homeowners' Burden. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/18/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31823, p33
Reports on the state of the city address of Chicago, Illinois Mayor Richard Daley, stating that lawmakers should limit annual property tax increases and reduce the state's reliance on taxes to fund education. Increase in homeowners' assessment; Criticism of Daley for failing to push any measures...
- Chicago Budget Seeks $280M in Tax Hikes. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;10/11/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32731, p4
The article reports on the move of Chicago, Illinois Mayor Richard Daley to unveil a proposed $5.94 billion budget for 2008 that relies on about $280 million in new and increased fees and taxes. It includes a record $108 million property tax increase, to close a $200 million deficit and cover...
- Chicago School Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;6/7/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32397, p45
The article reports on the allocation of 4.7 billion dollars' budget for fiscal 2007 by the Chicago Public Schools in Illinois. The funds depended on state aid, maximum property tax growth, and reduction of spending on school-based initiatives. Mayor Richard Daley approved the property tax...
- City asset sales have few fans in mayor's race. STRAHLER, STEVEN R. // Crain's Chicago Business;11/22/2010, Vol. 33 Issue 47, p1
The article discusses the political and financial challenges faced by the next Mayor in Chicago, Illinois. It states that current Mayor Richard M. Daley is focusing on privatization and auctioning off municipal assets in lieu of raising property taxes. It also states that the next spring Mayor...
- Chicago Tax Hike Would Support Libraries. // American Libraries;Nov2007, Vol. 38 Issue 10, p22
The article reports that Chicago, Illinois Mayor Richard M. Daley proposed a $108-million property tax increase that would augment funding for library operations and possibly allow the construction of new facilities. The 15 percent hike faces opposition from members of the city council because...