A Community on Trial: The Aberdeen Shechita Case, 1893
- A SAN DIEGO FIRST. Kramer, Will // Western States Jewish History;Winter/Spring2010, Vol. 42 Issue 2/3, p45
The article presents a reprint of the article "A San Diego First," by Dr. Will Kramer, which appeared in the May 26, 1972 issue of "The Heritage." The article discusses a butchering establishment in San Diego, California that offers lower prices than can be found in San Francisco, California. It...
- POLISH DEMOCRACY MAY MAKE MISSTEPS. Taube, Tad // Baltimore Jewish Times;8/2/2013, Vol. 333 Issue 5, p35
The author discusses the renaissance of Jewish life in Poland. He mentions that renaissance is not just for Jewish community but it is Poland's renaissance as it affects the foreign domination and reinvents itself as a prosperous and vibrant democratic nation. He informs that at the Taube...
- UNDERSTANDING FREEDOM OF RELIGION IN A RELIGIOUS INDUSTRY: KOSHER SLAUGHTER (SHECHITA) AND ANIMAL WELFARE. Silver, Joel // Victoria University of Wellington Law Review;Dec2011, Vol. 42 Issue 4, p671
The legality of ritual slaughter rests upon both law and merits. On the one hand, the international freedom of religion requires that communities can obtain meat of a suitable standard, and on the other, current scientific literature indicates that any distinct risks to animal welfare are...
- JEWS, MUSLIMS UNITE TO PROTECT CUISINE. // New Vegetarian & Natural Health;Winter2003, p67
Reports on the alliance of the between the Canadian Jewish Congress and the Islamic Council of Imams-Canada in an effort to exempt ritual slaughters for meats from proposed animal-cruelty legislation.
- An amateur Jew. Greer, Herb // Commentary;Mar1995, Vol. 99 Issue 3, p52
Features the author's insights regarding anti-Semitism and friendship with the Jews. Traces of prejudices in school, in social gatherings and in workplaces; Contradiction between subhuman and omnipotent; Experiences in Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Taking Action to End a "National Disgrace.". Benson, Lee // Horse-Canada.com;Sep/Oct2008, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p6
The author reflects on the torture horses go through in slaughterhouses in Canada as shown in a documentary in June 2008. He argues that horse slaughter has been banned in the U.S. but horse shipment for slaughter from the U.S. to Canada is still prevalent. An overview of the federal legislation...
- Slaughter without prestunning. Wotton, Steve // Veterinary Record: Journal of the British Veterinary Association;7/10/2004, Vol. 155 Issue 2, p64
Presents a letter to the editor in response to the viewpoint expressed by Doctor Rosen about the effectiveness of Shechita method in stunning and dispatching an animal.
- Belgian minister issues clarification backing kosher slaughter. // Jewish Telegraphic Agency: 1922 to present;12/24/2014, p1
(JTA) -- A Belgian minister has assured the Jewish community that kosher slaughter will continue to be allowed, months after threatening a ban that would have called the practice into question.
- One step ahead of the coalition. Benjamin, Jon // New Statesman;5/28/2012, Vol. 141 Issue 5107, p14
The article looks at Jewish communal organizations in Great Britain, as of 2012. The author says that a range of groups in the Jewish community provide important services to Jews and non-Jews in areas including neighborhood security, youth activities, and social welfare. The author expresses...