Tribe reflects on blood quantum enrollment change
- CULTURAL HYBRIDITY AND CHEROKEE TRIBAL MEMBERSHIP. Rendon, Teresa A. // Journal of Philosophy & History of Education;2007, Vol. 57, p136
This article discusses the use of tribal enrollment requirements as a means to control dilution of tribal assets in the U.S. The U.S. government exercises control of which groups are recognized as tribes, though tribes may legislate the requirements of tribal membership. Tribal membership...
- Te-Moak Western Shoshone Question Membership. // Native American Law Digest;Mar2005, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p5
The article reports that the Te-Moak Western Shoshone tribe is questioning the membership of more than 100 members. The tribe began a review of its membership rolls last yeas checking names with birth records and census data. Tribal manager Elwood Mose told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that over...
- Still Standing Tall in Colorado. WESTON, WENDY // Native Peoples Magazine;Jul/Aug2011, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p54
The article features the Southern Ute Indian Tribe who are living in Ignacio, Colorado. As of July 2011, the aforementioned tribe is composed of 1,400 members. It notes that the tribe's history remains intact and their inspiration to develop a center that celebrates their legacy is their desire...
- A Historical View. // Scholastic News -- Edition 5/6;4/30/2007, Vol. 75 Issue 22, p8
A quiz concerning the Native American tribes in Jamestown, Virginia is presented.
- Among the Abayudaya. Berg, Irwin M. // Commentary;Jan1997, Vol. 103 Issue 1, p50
Profiles the native African tribe called Abayudaya. Similarities with Christian and Muslim neighbors; Practice of Judaism; History of the tribe; Historical and practical reasons for wanting to become Jews.
- Tribal leaders. // Diversity Suppliers & Business Magazine;Winter95, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p29
Presents a list of Tribal leaders in the United States. Addresses; Contact numbers; Billings area; Eastern area; Passamaquoddy Tribe of Maine
- Irian Jaya's people of the trees. Steinmetz, George // National Geographic;Feb96, Vol. 189 Issue 2, p34
Features the Koromai and Kombai tribes in Irian Jaya, Indonesia whose houses are built on trees. Study of the Koromai by missionaries of the Reformed Churches in the Netherlands; Photographs about daily activities of the Kombai and Korowai.
- Tribal conflicts: What to do? Rumrill, Clark // Christian Science Monitor;7/17/96, Vol. 88 Issue 162, p19
Opinion. Asserts that Americans' egalitarian values make it difficult for them to understand the concept of tribalism. American involvement in tribal warfares after the Vietnam War; Definition of the tribe; Examples of tribal warfare in Africa and Asia.
- A criticism of `perceptions of tribal people.' Gradussov, Alex; Fisher, David // Social Alternatives;Apr91, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p51
Presents information on arguments between the two authors on the relationships between native tribal people, and other races. Example of the Aboriginal people in Australia; How tribal people perceive their treatment by others.