HIV/AIDS: Perspective on India
- NEWSFRONT: FLORIDA. // Advocate;2/16/88, Issue 492, p25
Reports on the findings of a study on AIDS epidemic in Belle Glade, Florida which confirms scientists' assertions that HIV has been routinely transmitted among residents of the town through sex and contact with infected blood and not by mosquitoes.
- NYC synagogue creates a welcoming place for lgbt Jews. Fulghum, Sherrill // Empty Closet;Apr2003, Issue 356, pA11
Provides information on the Congregation Beth Simchat Torah synagogue in New York City. Number of synagogue members; Incidence of AIDS epidemic in the congregation; Alternative ways for same sex couple to have children.
- WHERE DID AIDS BEGIN? // AIDS & the Third World;1989, p10
This article discusses the history of the acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) epidemic. Some studies trace the origin of the disease from Africa, spread from there to Haiti, and was contracted in Haiti by vacationing American homosexuals. Some researchers revealed the case of the early...
- Global AIDS surveillance. // Weekly Epidemiological Record;12/3/99, Vol. 74 Issue 48, p409
Focuses on the number of AIDS cases reported at the height of the epidemic. Decline of reported AIDS cases in selected industrialized countries; Introduction of Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Therapy; Factors causing the development of the disease.
- 22 MILLION DEAD. Cunningham, Francis Xavier // Commonweal;1/31/2003, Vol. 130 Issue 2, p39
Focuses on the need for the U.S. government to demonstrate a global offensive against HIV/AIDS by overcoming serious political barriers. Ways in which U.S. drug manufacturers have devoted large amount of money to fight the disease in developing countries; Proliferation of the epidemic around...
- Uganda: Coming to Terms (at last) with HIV/AIDS. Pappas, Gregory // Gay & Lesbian Review Worldwide;Sep/Oct2001, Vol. 8 Issue 5, p45
Reports on the actions taken in Uganda to combat the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Decline in the number of pregnant women found positive with AIDS; Pledge of United States Secretary of State Colin Powell of increased funding to combat the disease; Resentment towards the late action.
- The Issue at Hand: Responding to the AIDS Epidemic. Molnar, Alex // Educational Leadership;Apr87, Vol. 44 Issue 7, p77
Discusses AIDS epidemic in the U.S. Definition of AIDS in religious terms; Spread of AIDS among heterosexuals; Medical and social consequences of AIDS; Need to inform the public about AIDS.
- ROVING CAMERA. Gilbert, James // New York Amsterdam News;03/15/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 11, p13
Presents the views of Black New York City residents on the AIDS epidemic in Africa. Importance of involvement in AIDS awareness campaigns; Exposition of people affected with the disease; Need for open dialogue about the pandemic.
- Granada's U.N. rep addresses AIDS and Caribbean. Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;03/15/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 11, p14
Reports on the discussion of the report of the United Nations secretary general on HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa by Grenada UN Ambassador Lamuel A. Stanislaus. Pace of the epidemic in the region; Forms of transmitting the disease; Attitude of society toward sex.
- OUT OF AFRICA: POLITICS AND AIDS. Bennett, Garrett // Advocate;12/22/87, Issue 488, p30
Discusses the extent to which AIDS had become an issue for discussion both in the local media and among the people in central Africa. Epidemic proportions of AIDS in many parts of Africa; Perception of most African commentators that AIDS is both a political and a health issue; Initial...