Dual Family Earners: Do Role Overload and Stress Treat Them as Equals?
- ROLE CONFLICT, STRESS AND DUAL-CAREER COUPLES: AN EMPIRICAL STUDY. PANDA, UTTAM KUMAR // Journal of Family Welfare;Dec2011, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p72
The article focuses on an empirical study aimed at finding reasons for role-conflicts and stress among the dual-career couples in India. The study examined issues concerning role conflicts between the dual-couples related to childcare, domestic work, role conflict, and their opinions about...
- Unhappy Trails. Solomon, Charlene Marmer // Workforce (10928332);Aug2000, Vol. 79 Issue 8, p36
Offers a look at the problems associated with employee relocation. Impact of relocation on family relationship; Opportunities offered for the employee's spouse; Reasons for assignment failure; Challenges posed by the relocation of a dual-career spouse; Factors that influence the decision to...
- Reaching Out to Today's 'Multiminding' Woman. Skoloda, Kelly // Brandweek;4/25/2005, Vol. 46 Issue 17, p28
Discusses the changes in the involvement of women in household and professional activities in the U.S. Amount of time spent by an average working woman on household chores; Definition of multiminding for working women; Response of the media to the pace of the work life of women.
- Stress and organizational role conflict. Siegall, Marc; Cummings, L.L. // Genetic, Social & General Psychology Monographs;Feb95, Vol. 121 Issue 1, p65
Integrates the research on role conflict and coping with more traditional lines of stress research. Perceptions of conflicting expectations; Background on stress and coping; Basic argument; Distress; Coping; Role conflict and coping.
- The Longitudinal Effects of Work--Family Conflict and Positive
Spillover on Depressive Symptoms Among Dual-Earner Couples. Hammer, Leslie B.; Cullen, Jennifer C.; Neal, Margaret B.; Sinclair, Robert R.; Shafiro, Margarita V. // Journal of Occupational Health Psychology;Apr2005, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p138
This study assessed longitudinal and cross-sectional relationships between work--family conflict, positive spillover, and depression in a national sample of 234 dual-earner couples. The authors also assessed crossover effects (i.e., the transmission of emotions, affect, or stress from 1 member...
- The Effect of Multiple Roles on Caregiver Stress Outcomes. Bainbridge, Hugh T. J.; Cregan, Christina; Kulik, Carol T. // Journal of Applied Psychology;Mar2006, Vol. 91 Issue 2, p490
Some caregivers focus exclusively on the caregiving role; others try to balance caregiving responsibilities with a simultaneous work role outside the home. This study examined competing hypotheses about the impact that greater immersion in a work role would have on the stress outcomes of...
- Couples coping with dual careers: A description of flexible and rigid coping styles. Stanfield, Jacqueline B. // Social Science Journal;1998, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p53
Examines the coping styles of dual career couples in the United States. Primary coping styles; Indicators of coping styles; Role strain; Couple's negotiated perception of coping.
- WORK-FAMILY ROLE SYNTHESIS: INDIVIDUAL AND ORGANIZATIONAL DETERMINANTS. Kossek, Ellen Ernst; Noe, Raymond A.; DeMarr, Beverly J. // International Journal of Conflict Management;Apr99, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p102
This article focuses on the issues related to self-management of work and family roles. In light of the dramatic social transformations occurring in the nature of family and worker demands, nearly all employees today need to make decisions on how to manage work and family roles. The work-family...
- Dual Career Implications on Workforce Mobility: The Evolution of the Relocating Spouse/Partner. Bello, Lorraine; Tinder, Galen // Benefits & Compensation Digest;Sep2009, Vol. 46 Issue 9, p36
The article focuses on the results of a number of surveys and studies which demonstrated that an employee's family has a major effect on the success of a work relocation and also on the employee's performance in his or her new position. According to most relocation industry surveys conducted,...