Wait still on for antimicrobial surveillance
- PHAC chided for lack of antimicrobial resistance strategy. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;6/16/2015, Vol. 187 Issue 9, pE265
The article reports that the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has been reprimanded by the Auditor General for its lack of strategy to combat antimicrobial resistance. Topics discussed include the need for a national strategy for Canada's imprudent utilization of antibiotics, the move of...
- Carabapenem-resistant bacteria a looming threat in Canada. Webster, Paul Christopher // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;11/9/2010, Vol. 182 Issue 16, p1720
The article focuses on the call of microbiologists to strengthen surveillance of drug-resistant bacteria Klebsiella pneumonia (KPC) in Canada. Microbiologists stress the significance of screening Canadians who have been hospitalized in the U.S., Israel, and Greece in which KPC is rampant....
- Recommendations issued for preventing the spread of vancomycin resistance. // American Family Physician;1/1/1996, Vol. 53 Issue 1, p392
Presents the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report titled `Recommendations for Preventing the Spread of Vancomycin Resistance.' Vancomycin use and infection with vancomycin-resistant enterococci; Situations in which vancomycin use is appropriate and acceptable; Enhancing...
- Growing Resistance. Dobb, Edwin // Mother Jones;Nov/Dec2000, Vol. 25 Issue 6, p23
Focuses on the criticism on the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and U.S. Food and Drug Administration's plan to curb overprescription and overuse of antibiotics. Failure to address the use of growth promoters in livestock; Development of bacterial resistance with...
- New CDC guidelines help hospitals control the spread of VRE. Begany, Timothy // RN;Dec94, Vol. 57 Issue 12, p19
Reports on the guidelines issued to hospitals in the United States by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to help check the spread of vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE). Education on VRE; Early detection and reporting; Infection control; Prudent vancomycin use.
- US government sets out action plan for addressing antimicrobial resistance. // Veterinary Record: Journal of the British Veterinary Association;4/11/2015, Vol. 176 Issue 15, p376
The article reports on the move of the U.S. government to set out a national action plan to address antimicrobial resistance. The goal of the action plan in response to the executive order issued by U.S. President Barack Obama is discussed. The implementation of the objectives and activities...
- Vaccine for next flu season in Canada to contain same strains as last season's. // Canadian Pharmacists Journal (Allen Press Publishing Services In;Jul/Aug2011, Vol. 144 Issue 4, p160
The article reports on the announcement of the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), stating that the vaccine for the 2011-2012 influenza season will contain the same strains as last season such as A-California H1N1, A-Perth, H3N2, and B-Brisbane.
- Government ideology affects AIDS funding. Ling, Justin // Xtra (Toronto);8/23/2012, Issue 726, p9
The article reports that of the funding proposal for 20 projects submitted by the Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network (CHLN) to the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) amounting to about 700,000 dollars, only a third of the funding was approved with the axing of 16 proposed activities.
- Cold and flu very common in children this time of year. // Asian Pacific Post;10/27/2011, p5
The article focuses on the findings of the Public Health Agency of Canada that common colds in children occur five to eight times per year and that children also have the highest flu cases.