The intriguing Cyclophilin A-HIV-1 Vpr interaction: prolyl cis/trans isomerisation catalysis and specific binding
- Catalytic Water Co-Existing with a Product Peptide in the Active Site of HIV-1 Protease Revealed by X-Ray Structure Analysis. // PLoS ONE;2009, Vol. 4 Issue 11, p1
The article offers information on the study conducted by the authors related to the catalytic water co-existing with a product peptide in the active site of HIV-1 protease revealed by X-ray structure analysis. It states that HIV-1 protease is an important target for design of antiviral compounds...
- Analysis of HIV-1 Protease Gene Reveals Frequent Multiple Infections Followed by Recombination among Drug Treated Individuals Living in SÃ£o Paulo and Santos, Brazil. Nunes, Edsel Renata De Morais; Zukurov, Jean Paulo; Maricato, Juliana Terzi; Sucupira, Maria Cecília Araripe; Diaz, Ricardo Sobhie; Janini, Luíz Mário Ramos // PLoS ONE;Jan2014, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p1
The present study investigated the prevalence of HIV-1 multiple infections in a population composed by 47 patients under HAART failure and enrolled at the National DST/AIDS, Program, Ministry of Health, Brazil.Detection of multiple infections was done using a previously published RFLP assay for...
- Bryostatin-1 Synergizes with Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors to Reactivate HIV-1 from Latency. Pérez, Moisés; De Vinuesa, Amaya Garíca; Sanchez-Duffhues, Gonzalo; Marquez, Nieves; Bellido, M. Luz; Muñoz-Fernandez, M. Ángeles; Moreno, Santiago; Castor, Trevor P.; Calzado, Marco A.; Muñoz, Eduardo // Current HIV Research;Sep2010, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p418
The persistence of latent HIV-infected cellular reservoirs represents the major hurdle to virus eradication on patients treated with HAART. It has been suggested that successful depletion of such latent reservoirs will require a combination of therapeutic agents that can specifically and...
- Failure of Treatment with First-Line Lopinavir Boosted with Ritonavir Can Be Explained by Novel Resistance Pathways with Protease Mutation 76V. Nijhuis, Monique; Wensing, Annemarie M. J.; Bierman, Wouter F. W.; de Jong, Dorien; Kagan, Ron; Fun, Axel; Jaspers, Christian A. J. J.; Schurink, Karin A. M.; van Agtmael, Michael A.; Boucher, Charles A. B. // Journal of Infectious Diseases;9/1/2009, Vol. 200 Issue 5, p698
Background. Virological failure of first-line antiretroviral therapy based on lopinavir boosted with ritonavir (lopinavir/r) has rarely been associated with resistance in protease. We identified a new genotypic resistance pathway in 3 patients who experienced failure of first-line lopinavir/r...
- Reversal of Major Genotypic Tipranavir Mutations Under Long-Term Treatment with Tipranavir/Ritonavir Itself with Very Limited Optimized Background, During Deep Salvage Antiretroviral Therapy. Sabbatani, Sergio; Manfredi, Roberto; Fulgaro, Ciro; Bon, Isabella // Current HIV Research;May2009, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p311
A reversal of key HIV protease mutations against tipranavir has been observed in a patient undergoing a late salvage antiretroviral therapy. Our patient initially introduced tipranavir/ritonavir in absence of an optimized background and novel drug classes, and nevertheless he experienced a...
- Cyclophilin A modulates the sensitivity of HIV-1 to host restriction factors. Towers, Greg J.; Hatziioannou, Theodora; Cowan, Simone; Goff, Stephen P.; Luban, Jeremy; Bieniasz, Paul D. // Nature Medicine;Sep2003, Vol. 9 Issue 9, p1138
Many mammalian species express restriction factors that confer host resistance to retroviral infection. Here we show that HIV-1 sensitivity to restriction factors is modulated by cyclophilin A (CypA), a host cell protein that binds the HIV-1 capsid protein (CA). In certain nonhuman primate...
- Effects of long-term use of HAART on oral health status of HIV-infected subjects. // British Dental Journal;8/28/2010, Vol. 209 Issue 4, p175
'HIV-infected subjects without HAART showed a greater risk of feeling dry in the mouth than those with short-term HAART'.
- HAART decreased pneumonia incidence among children with HIV. // Infectious Disease News;Apr2012, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p30
The article reports on the findings by researchers led by Doctor Dariela Micheloud from Hospital General Universitario Gregorio MaraÃ±Ã²n in Madrid, Spain, that the rate of pneumonia in children with HIV dropped due to highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART).
- Immunity to Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection. Torti, Carlo; Paiardini, Mirko; Gori, Andrea // Clinical & Developmental Immunology;2012, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editors discuss various reports within the issue on topics including HIV, highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) and immunity.