Corporal punishment in Tanzania's schools
- Discipline. // Education Journal;Jan2006, Issue 91, p39
The article focuses on a research, from Liverpool John Moores University, related to the behavior of teachers towards their students. It was stated by the researchers that disciplining a child in front of the entire class is the worst that can be done by a teacher. The research involved six...
- Governing bodies and learner discipline: managing rural schools in South Africa through a code of conduct. Mestry, Raj; Khumalo, Jan // South African Journal of Education;Feb2012, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p97
The South African Schools Act of 1996 provides that school governing bodies (SGBs) should adopt and assist in the enforcement of a learner code of conduct to maintain discipline effectively. This study focuses on the perceptions and experiences of SGBs in managing discipline in rural secondary...
- The "Absent Presence" of Part-Time Senior Secondary Study: A Research and Policy Challenge. Ramsay, Eleanor // Australian Educational Researcher (Australian Association for Re;Aug2008, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p37
Part-time engagement is a significant feature of senior secondary study for large numbers of students, in a context which includes high level policy pressures to achieve better outcomes for many more and a wider proportion of the schooling population, and significant policy and practice shifts...
- Student Dress Codes. Scriven, Eldon G.; Harrison, Jr., Alton // Education Digest;Feb1971, Vol. 36 Issue 6, p40
The article focuses on the issue of student dress codes in secondary education. Some schools justify student dress codes by saying that unusual modes are distracting. This may be true, but the period of distraction is generally brief; novelty, especially among young people, wears off rapidly....
- States turn up heat in debate over paddlings. Harp, Lonnie; Miller, Laura // Education Week;9/6/95, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1
Reports on Alabama Governor Fob James Jr.'s signing into law a bill that promises school board support to Alabama teachers if they are taken to court for spanking students. Renewal of debate over the merits of paddling students for disciplinary infractions in school; Expansion of...
- Let Us Now Praise Class Clowns. Monroe, Doug // Atlanta;Sep2001, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p60
Expresses views towards mischievous students. Reaction toward decision of jailing a student for jumping over a cake; Remarks on schools lacking a suitable disciplinary system; Citation of successful class clowns.
- The missing link: Students discuss school discipline. Thorson, Sue // Focus on Exceptional Children;Nov96, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p1
Presents views of several students on school discipline. Behavior problems as determinant of student placement; Detention; Positive response to rules; Reasons for misbehavior; Effect of students' ideas on school discipline.
- Make Discipline Problems IMPROVE Instruction. Varner, Edna // Education Digest;Sep99, Vol. 65 Issue 1, p18
Describes the experience of the author, as a principal, in dealing with students' discipline problems. How discipline can deceive a teacher; Discussion on strategic approach; Significance of feedbacks to students.
- An Ounce of Prevention. Sack, Joetta L. // Education Week;10/27/99, Vol. 19 Issue 9, p32
Focuses on the Effective Behavior Support system designed by researchers at the University of Oregon to make good conduct and discipline in school in Eugene, Oregon. Features of the system; Impact of the system on schools that have adopted the system; Number of elementary and middle schools in...