Why Deep Layoffs Hurt Long-term Recovery
- American Airlines begins detailing job cuts. Howe, Aleshia // Fort Worth Business Press;7/7/2008, Vol. 22 Issue 26, p2
The article reports on the plans of Fort Worth, Texas-based American Airlines to cut eight percent of its workforce by the end of 2008. American has issued a WARN letter to the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, informing the union that the airliner needed to cut 900 full-time flight...
- American Airlines plans more cuts. Ryan, Frances // Caribbean Business;3/26/2009, Vol. 37 Issue 12, p8
The article offers information on the additional job retrenchments implemented by American Airlines. The company announced that effective May 1, 2009, another 27-30 local airline jobs will be terminated due to the lower-than-projected airline revenues, the reduced travel demand industrywide, and...
- CISCO'S SLASHES. // New Hampshire Business Review;04/20/2001-05/03/2001, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p4
Reports on the plans of Cisco Systems Inc. to cut jobs. Uncertainty of the effect on the firm's New Hampshire operations; Struggle with slowing economies and flagging capital spending; Restructuring plans.
- American Airlines notifies employees they may be laid off. Guadalupe-Fajardo, Evelyn // Caribbean Business;5/8/2003, Vol. 31 Issue 18, p28
Reports on the retrenchment of American Airlines Inc. in the U.S. Retrenchment agreement signed between the company and labor unions; Efforts of the company to reduce annual operating costs; Number of jobs retrenched by the company.
- American Airlines closes its local call center operation. Sodoma, Brian // Las Vegas Business Press;2/10/2003, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p11
Announces the organizational downsizing of American Airlines in Las vegas, Nevada. Closure of the company's call center; Cost cutting strategy of the company; Effect of the closure on employees.
- Cisco Systems. Harrington, Ann // Fortune;1/12/2004, Vol. 149 Issue 1, p62
Presents a profile of Cisco Systems, the California-based Internet technology company that made number 28 on the magazine's list of the 100 best companies to work for. Description of the hands-on approach and evangelistic zeal of CEO John Chambers; Report that the tech downturn led to...
- Cisco to cut 4000 jobs in 2014, despite a good growth in FY13. // Express Computer;9/ 1/2013, Vol. 24 Issue 13, p52
The article reports on the announcement of networking equipment manufacturer Cisco Systems regarding its plan to reduce its workforce by 5% as part of resource rebalancing for the fiscal year 2014.
- Number Crunch. // ComputerWorld Hong Kong;Sep2013, p7
The article announces that information technology (IT) company Cisco Systems Inc. will remove 4,000 middle management jobs to speed up decision-making and execution.
- Exploring the consequences of workforce reduction. Wagar, Terry H. // Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences (Canadian Journal of;Dec98, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p300
Examines the relationship between permanent workforce reduction and three sets of outcomes. Impact of downsizing on the survivors; Consequences of downsizing; High-involvement workplace strategy; Conclusion.