In Uneasy Times HR Renews Its Peacekeeping Mission
- Case roundup. Eversheds // Personnel Today;10/8/2002, p15
Reports legal developments related to personnel management in Great Britain as of November 2002. Dismissal of Diane Greener for drunkenness on duty; Legal claims for unfair dismissals; Inference of discrimination in the workplace.
- ORGANIZATIONAL TENSION AND OCCUPATIONAL SCRIPTS: STORIES FROM HR PROFESSIONALS AND TOP EXECUTIVES. Hansen, Carol D.; Kahnweiler, William M. // Human Resource Management Review;Spring95, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p25
Compares the attributional biases and cultural beliefs of top executives and human resources professionals in 'Fortune 500' companies. Analysis of story components of informant-generated tales of work place experiences; Differences in values, priorities and desired roles.
- Companies call for single discrimination super-body. Whitehead, Mark // People Management;05/06/99, Vol. 5 Issue 9, p12
Looks at the human resource (HR) directors' call on the British government to launch a crusade against disability discrimination and ageism. Details on Carnegie Third Age Programme's opinion poll, which follows the government's preparation of a draft voluntary code of practice to combat age...
- COPING WITH AFFIRMATIVE ACTION BACKLASH. Rosen, Benson; Jerdee, Thomas H. // Business Horizons;Aug79, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p15
Discusses ways in eliminating race and sex discrimination among employees. Use of the affirmative action program in corporate management; Reactions of male employees toward the organizational treatment of women; Impact of affirmative action policies on corporate personnel.
- Evaluation of Programs to facilitate Effective Performance of the Disadvantaged Worker. Holley Jr., William H. // Training & Development Journal;Feb73, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p18
Evaluates different types of programs that could facilitate effective performance of disadvantaged workers. Counselling and supportive services; Sensitivity training; Seminars for supervisory personnel; Special vesbitule training; Company newsletter and publications.
- Equal Opportunities. // People Management;6/30/1999, Vol. 5 Issue 13, p17
Presents several news briefs on equal opportunities in Great Britain as of June 1999. London Borough of Hackney's plan to set up a team to investigate claims by employees of race discrimination; Creating the Future, a civil service career fair for ethnic minorities, organized by Diversity UK;...
- Case roundup. // Personnel Today;8/20/2002, p20
Presents two court cases regarding personnel management in Great Britain. Details on racial discrimination claim of employee Ahuja against Ingrams; Importance of giving due consideration to making reasonable adjustments in the case between employer HM Prison Service againsts employee Beart;...
- Employers take proactive stance on diversity issues. Reade, Quentin // Personnel Today;5/6/2003, p4
Discusses a benchmarking study conducted by Opportunity Now indicating that most British employers have reviewed their recruitment and selection process to ensure they do not discriminate against women. Efforts of employers to conduct comprehensive equal pay audits; Proactive stance taken by...
- IN BRIEF. // People Management;10/26/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 21, p9
Presents news briefs on personnel management in Great Britain as of October 2000. Reason for the cancellation of a public debate over the proposed European legislation that would force employers to consult staff on company developments; Findings of a report on the future of multi-ethnic...