Update on the Year of the Ocean
- EDITORIAL The Labrador Sea Deep Convection Experiment. Marshall, John; Fiadeiro, Manuel // Journal of Physical Oceanography;Feb2002, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p381
Introduces oceanographic studies of the Labrador Sea published in the February 2002 issue of the periodical 'Journal of Physical Oceanography'. Background of the field program which provided most of the data in the studies; Significance of the results of measuring salinity, velocity and...
- CORRIGENDUM. // Journal of Physical Oceanography;May2002, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p1594
Presents a corrected reprint of the article 'Statistical Comparisons of Observed and ECMWF Modeled Open Ocean Surface Drag,' by H. Bonekamp et al published in the May 2002 issue of the 'Journal of Physical Oceanography.'
- CORRIGENDUM. // Journal of Physical Oceanography;May2002, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p1593
Presents a corrected reprint of the article 'Mixing and Energetics of the Oceanic Thermohaline Circulation,' by Rui Xin Huang published in the May 2002 issue of the 'Journal of Physical Oceanography.'
- Evidence of a Barrier Layer in the Sulu and Celebes Seas. Chu, Peter C.; Qinyu Liu; Yinglai Jia; Chenqu Fan // Journal of Physical Oceanography;Nov2002, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p3299
Variability in the surface isothermal and mixed layers of the Sulu and Celebes Seas is examined using the conductivity-temperature-depth data from the Navy's Master Oceanographic Observational Data Set (MOODS). Vertical gradient is calculated to determine isothermal layer depth with a criterion...
- Use of TOPEX/Poseidon Sea Level Data for Ocean Analyses and ENSO Prediction: Some Early Results. Ming Ji; Reynold, Richard W.; Behringer, David W. // Journal of Climate;1/1/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p216
In this study, two sets of Pacific Ocean analyses for 1993--96 were analyzed. Both analyses were produced with the assimilation of subsurface temperature data from expendable bathythermographs and tropical atmo-sphere-- ocean moorings. In addition one analysis also assimilated sea level data...
- Data-Based Meridional Overturning Streamfunctions for the Global Ocean. Talley, Lynne D.; Reid, Joseph L.; Robbins, Paul E. // Journal of Climate;Oct2003, Vol. 16 Issue 19, p3213
The meridional overturning circulation for the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans is computed from absolute geostrophic velocity estimates based on hydrographic data and from climatological Ekman transports. The Atlantic overturn includes the expected North Atlantic Deep Water formation...
- Okeanos Aquarium Center to open. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);7/10/95, Vol. 42 Issue 28, p20
Reports that the Okeanos Ocean Research Foundation will open the Aquarium Preview Center on July 15, 1995. Description; Comments from Dick Blankfein, director of the foundation; Contact information.
- The Heard Island feasibility test. // Physics Today;Sep92, Vol. 45 Issue 9, p22
Describes an expedition to Heard Island in the southern Indian Ocean that demonstrated that coded underwater acoustic signals can be received worldwide and serve as a method for measuring ocean warming. `Acoustic thermometers'; Background; The first transmissions; Ocean warming and climate;...
- Science on the sandfloor. Stiefel, Chana Freidman // Science World;03/07/97, Vol. 53 Issue 11, p8
Provides information on oceans. Origin of hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor; Formation of Monterey's undersea canyon in Monterey bay, California; Birth of an island; Satellites used to map the ocean floor.