UK firms can weather Brazil's mahogany ban
- Hardwood alternatives. // Cabinet Maker;11/2/2001, Issue 5262, p3
Reports the Brazilian mahogany exports alternatives in Great Britain. Recommendations on alternative species for the utilization on the making of furniture products; Accumulation of another kind of species of wood from different countries; Certification of authority from the distributors source...
- Mahogany. BARNES, KENNETH // National Geographic;Aug2013, Vol. 224 Issue 2, p7
A letter to the editor is presented in response to an article in the April 2013 issue which discusses how U.S. demand for mahogany has depleted the mahogany forests of Peru.
- Malaysia and Indonesia at loggerheads. // Cabinet Maker;2/20/2004, Issue 5376, p5
Reports on the call of the Indonesian government to furniture retailers in Great Britain for a ban on the importation of Malaysian furniture.
- Greens lose case. // Forestry & British Timber;Sep2002, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p12
Reports that an appeal judgment has gone against environmental group Greenpeace which was attempting to force the Great Britain government to seize imports of Brazilian mahogany which it claimed had been illegally logged.
- Scambusters seize sofas. // Cabinet Maker;6/29/2007, Issue 5544, p3
The article reports that the Trading Standards officers in Hartlepool, England have confiscated up to 180 plastic sofas in the North East as part of a crackdown on import and sale of dangerous furniture. It was found in an undercover operation that the products were sold by a door-to-door seller...
- Tighter controls for mahogany. Barr, Catherine // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Nov94, Vol. 66 Issue 11, p6
Reports on the proposal to list the American mahogany under the Convention for International Trade in Endangered Species. Regulation of the all international trade of American mahogany under a permit system.
- Cites Appendix III Export Permit need not be Challenged by Importing State Authority. // Journal of Environmental Law;2003, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p341
Analyzes the judgment and law applied in the endangered species trade case `The Queen on the Application of Greenpeace Ltd. v. Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and Her Majesty's Commission of Customs and Excise' in Great Britain in 2002. Regulation of international...
- Causal relationships between African mahoganies exports and deforestation in Ghana: policy implications. Danquah, Jones; Sarpong, Daniel; Pappinen, Ari // Environment, Development & Sustainability;Feb2013, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p51
When exploiting forest resources, the resource use must be sustainable if its use is to support its function in the natural ecosystem. The African mahogany, a prized timber species, is widely exploited, raising policy concerns about the management of forest resources to meet the social,...
- Canada retailer group against safeguard tariffs. Knell, Michael J. // Furniture/Today;11/21/2005, Vol. 30 Issue 11, p43
Reports on the plan of the Retail Council of Canada to oppose any effort to impose safeguard tariffs on imports of household furniture from China. Implications of the safeguard tariffs on the trading partnership between Canada and China; Suggestion that safeguards could put thousands of jobs at...